This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    I would be interested to know the brandy and Aunty connection in the last question
    A "single brandy" might lead you to a Napoleon Solo, a character in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. played by Robert VAUGHN
    I must admit the idea of a poet as a chef who cooks a poem is completely new to me
    "Cooking up" or "cobbling together" is one of those expressions that self-deprecating British Artists occasionally use to describe the creative process.
    was Vaughan Williams an ARP warden? - I didn't know that
    Well, a "Fire Watcher", observing and reporting on bombing raids during WW2. "ARP Warden" isn't quite the same thing, but neither is "Fireman" or "Fire Fighter". During the 1939-45 War, RVW also collected scrap metal, wrote Film Music, supported Michael Tippett in his pacifist refusal to perform any activity that might contribute to the War Effort ... oh, and wrote his Fifth Symphony. And met and fell in love with Ursula Wood.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

How very cruel Caliban is, to turn on my computer and see that array of patisserie and, on the left, my absolute favourites, Cafe Religieuse <drooling emoticon> However, hope trip was good and if there are any wonderful restaurant experiences, please share those as well!

Comment

YAY Calibano! What a sensational shot of the patissier's art - yummola! I can feel a diabetic crise coming on just from gazing lovingly at your pix. How clever of your Black&Decker for taking such a lovely snap

Comment

Given mercia's problems I think Am should do a W - I like Am's Ws!

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Given mercia's problems I think Am should do a W - I like Am's Ws!
            Okely dokely, always your man in a crisis!

A W to connect Steve, Peter and Jimmy

The answer is non-musical; of the clues only Steve is musical

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              How very cruel Caliban is, to turn on my computer and see that array of patisserie and, on the left, my absolute favourites, Cafe Religieuse <drooling emoticon> However, hope trip was good and if there are any wonderful restaurant experiences, please share those as well!
              Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              YAY Calibano! What a sensational shot of the patissier's art - yummola! I can feel a diabetic crise coming on just from gazing lovingly at your pix. How clever of your Black&Decker for taking such a lovely snap
              Sorry to have put you through the psychological and physiological wringer, both! Hope you have been able to avoid deploying the insulin twelve-bore, Ams !

Being en famille, there was only one restaurant trip, a delightful one though with old friends near the coast, just stopping off as we happened to pass it for lunch http://www.restaurant-la-gare-ploubalay.com/ The 25€ menu du marché was a treat - 6 oysters from the bay of St Jacut just a few hundred yards away, then a heavenly magret de canard with a scrummy celeriac purée, and a refreshing 'apple 3 ways' dessert. Nice little bottle of muscadet and a Kir to start with (the oldest of the company, 84, actually met Canon Félix Kir after whom the drink was named... I had no idea there was such a person, despite having "discovered" - ahem...! - the drink in St Jacut itself in the late 1970s and having drunk a fair few dozen since...). Lovely. If only Monday lunchtime was always like that...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

They're very popular amongst amateur orchestras in Yorkshire, Caliban. "We'll try t'first movement of t'Haydn symphony now if you please Mr Pickersgill!"

Missed that one, Ammy

Incidentally, I deployed the Black & Decker in another patisserie....

Fancy taking a bite of Simon?????

PS: some good ideas for forum names there, if anyone feels like a change. I think Anna could be "Le Coeur Tendre" (pity it's not "Visage de Coeur"!), maybe Ammy could become "Le Frou Frou"?? Who fancies "Fraisia"??

Comment

A bite of Simon?!?

I can't imagine there's enough for a bite - perhaps just a nibble

Le Coeur Tendre and Le Frou Frou seem most apt

Comment

My chums, I have slightly misled you regarding the clues - a part of Peter's career was decidedly musical

Comment

My chums, I have slightly misled you regarding the clues - a part of Peter's career was decidedly musical
                      Well I'm not sure it's what you meant but Wilson fits... It's the second name of the late lamented J Savile; Steve Wilson founded prog rock band Porcupine Tree, and Peter Wilson is a bass guitarist who studied at the Guildhall and has done orchestral work as well as rock...

But somehow I don't think that's what you're after, Monsieur Frou Frou!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Well I'm not sure it's what you meant but Wilson fits... It's the second name of the late lamented J Savile; Steve Wilson founded prog rock band Porcupine Tree, and Peter Wilson is a bass guitarist who studied at the Guildhall and has done orchestral work as well as rock...

But somehow I don't think that's what you're after, Monsieur Frou Frou!!
                        Much better than what I have on the card, Caliban!

Comment

Much better than what I have on the card, Caliban!
                          Perhaps a little clue required ??

Comment

I presume that the answer is not a surname (unless there is a certain amount of fabrication going on )?

(Incidentally, appears in both Am's posts: is this a "nudge"?)
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

A bite of Simon?!?

I can't imagine there's enough for a bite - perhaps just a nibble

Le Coeur Tendre and Le Frou Frou seem most apt
                              Note that the "Simon" appears to have a halo...

Comment

The Answer is a surname ... and not in one case, where it is adjectival

A clue? Well in the case of Steve, this W links to Lennie too

That should get you in the right direction
                                Last edited by Guest; 10-11-11, 12:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X