X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    William Alwyn wrote the score for a 1941 training film called 'How To File' (which featured metalworkers - thank you, Wikipaedia!), an orchestral work Derby Day (that would be the Frith) and the score to the film of 'The History of Mr. Polly'.
    I think you have gone one better than me in ingenuity! You are perfectly right on all three, but this was my prepared explanation:

William Alwyn was born William Alwyn Smith, and composed a Derby Day Overture (Derby Day is a famous painting by William Frith) and The History of Mr Polly Suite (novel by H G Wells).

The Smith information was on the first line of the Wiki entry I looked at. So I had no knowledge of the training film (or, as it happens, that the Suite was from a film score). So we both learn and everyone wins!

Over to you for 'B'.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Every day I learn, Mr. Fawlty....
      Here's a 'B' question that I hope will entertain and possibly intrigue.
      What is the highly alliterative title of an album, still available, that brought together three popular English musicians and was originally released at a time when England enjoyed sporting success?

Comment

• Tapiola
        • Jan 2011

Is this jazz-related, OFCACHAP?

("A" had me properly stumped)

If that Lara St(.) John (in that other thread) appeared in Corrie, I'd start watching again. I know - Lucy the florist comes back looking for Peter - Lara wades in with mud, and the two of them wrestle in the muck for the poor man's affections...

Comment

• Don Petter

I haven't got anywhere with B so far.

I'm away on a trip for a few days, so will only be on line sporadically, if at all. I look forward to catching up on what's been going on in due course.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
            Is this jazz-related, OFCACHAP?
            Yup!

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Bitches Brew?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Dave Holland and John McLaughlin are the only two Brits that I'm aware of on that album.

This bit "originally released at a time when England enjoyed sporting success" has me stumped. Has there ever been a time when we enjoyed sporting success?
                Last edited by Guest; 24-01-11, 11:01.

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

Yes, that is the bit I am stuck on. Alliterative, yes. Released in 1970, when England regained the Ashes in Australia - sporting success, yes. But only two Brits on the album. Hmmm.

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                    Has there ever been a time when we enjoyed sporting success?
                    Indeed!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                      Dave Holland and John McLaughlin are the only two Brits that I'm aware of on that album.

This bit "originally released at a time when England enjoyed sporting success" has me stumped. Has there ever been a time when we enjoyed sporting success?
                      'They think it's all over .... it is now!'

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

OFCACHAP,

Your reference to 1966 notwithstanding, is this album much more recent than Bitches Brew?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

This album predated Bitches Brew.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I'll log on again round about lunchtime, when I will hopefuly offer confirmatory congratulations - or a clue or two if desired/required!

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

Here goes nothing...

Basie meets Bond.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Time for a couple of clues. One of the three had a big hit on both sides of the Atlantic with a recording of a tune with a Russian connection; and another enjoyed a long run in the bestseller charts with a theme from a children's TV serial.

Comment

Working...
                                X