• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm snookered.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I'm snookered.
      Oh I was hoping you'd be more wired than snookered.

Comment

OK: so not Jimmy White (the snooker virtuoso, for whom "white" might also be adjectival), Steve White (the Drum virtuoso with The Jam and Lennie White, the Drum virtuoso with Chick Corea) and Peter White (the "smooth jazz guitarist" - thank you Wiki: I was thinking of the R4 broadcaster), then?

Comment

OK: so not Jimmy White (the snooker virtuoso, for whom "white" might also be adjectival), Steve White (the Drum virtuoso with The Jam and Lennie White, the Drum virtuoso with Chick Corea) and Peter White (the "smooth jazz guitarist" - thank you Wiki: I was thinking of the R4 broadcaster), then?
          Whoa big fella! You've decided to ignore the clue about being in the right direction? And I'll let slip that the 'Steve+Lennie+W' is very musical

Comment

Oh stupid me!
            Steve(n) Sondheim and Lennie Bernstein collaborated on the Musical West Side Story.
            The "direction" West.

I don't know Jimmy West (is he the tinned salmon chap? Another Musical: "Salmon chanted Evening"?) or Peter West (a newsreader on ITV years ago?)

Comment

Oh stupid me!
              Steve(n) Sondheim and Lennie Bernstein collaborated on the Musical West Side Story.
              The "direction" West.

I don't know Jimmy West (is he the tinned salmon chap? Another Musical: "Salmon chanted Evening"?) or Peter West (a newsreader on ITV years ago?)
              You gottit, fhg! West it is ... now I gave you a 'wired' clue too, which related to Jimmy; and Peter West was the Cricket, Rugby and Come Dancing (there's musical!)Correspondent of The Times and BBC TV for yonks

So now concentrate on Jimmy and 'wired'

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                So now concentrate on Jimmy and 'wired'
                Perhaps a murky murderous connection: a pair of Wests, Fred and Dominic who played Fred and who was also a star of "Wired" which I've never seen but was his character called Jimmy?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Perhaps a murky murderous connection: a pair of Wests, Fred and Dominic who played Fred and who was also a star of "Wired" which I've never seen but was his character called Jimmy?
                  One hundred-and-eighty Calibbean, me ol' banana!!

I feel that the next letter belongs to fhb as he did get the West answer first plus Steve and most of Peter

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I feel that the next letter belongs to fhb as he did get the West answer first plus Steve and most of Peter
                    Very much so! Let us have it, Ferne! X, Y, Z or A....???
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I would never have got the Wired connection, though.
                      Excellent puzzle, Am51, I fear this one isn't nearly as good:

What X is shared by
                      A seismic Symphonist
                      A mediterranean Symphonist
                      and a Mariachi Symphonist?

... answer not musical.

Comment

Ain't got no X, but Alan Hovhaness' Symphony No. 50 is titled Mount St Helens, which was pretty seismic?

Comment

..he also wrote a concerto for xylophone...but the answer is not musical...

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            ..he also wrote a concerto for xylophone...but the answer is not musical...
                            Could be it, then?

Comment

Comment

Curses! Because I've only recently started to "join in", I should've checked the earlier entries. My answer is, in fact, the same as Caliban's last Christmas: Xavier.
                                Franz Xavier Richter (the seismic Symphonist, whose works, appropriately enough are full of Scale passages)
                                Xavier Montsalvatge (who wrote a Sinfonia Mediterrano early in his career)
                                Robert Xavier Rodriguez (whose Sinfonia a la Mariachi uses Mexican "street" Music).

Apologies: I suffer the forfeit and suggest that Caliban take over the next letter: he did get the Wired/Jimmy/West connection, after all.

(Liked the Xylophone joke, too, DP!)

Comment

Working...
                                X