X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    120!
    JM and Lili spot on. But a different Shadow!

(And I'm impressed with your lightning reflexes, Norf: it took me much longer to "research"!)
    I presume that you are looking for Otakar Kraus, who premiered the role of Nick Shadow in The Rake's Progress.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      I presume that you are looking for Otakar Kraus, who premiered the role of Nick Shadow in The Rake's Progress.
      I am indeed! (Also the first Tarquinius in Britten's far from sub-standard Rape of Lucretia and King Fisher in The Midsummer Marriage - not that these extra clues were needed.)

Who the L's next? I suggest Lightning Norf!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thank you - 'L' coming up shortly!

Comment

Which 'L' links (a) The Iron Lady, (b) The Bear and (c) The Comeback Kid? (Of the three, one is slightly musical).

Comment

The link is musical.

Comment

well wikipedia gives a list of 20+ politicians who can be called The Iron Lady, and apparently it's also a nickname for the Eiffel Tower.
              for The Bear we have a play, an opera, several films, a symphony, a fairy tale, a Margrave of Brandenburg, a 19th century politician and an "underground LSD cook" !! I vaguely remember Barbara Castle appearing in a previous question, I wonder if she's the Iron Lady. or perhaps, more topically, Angela Merkel. the only Comeback Kids I have are a Canadian band, Fidel Castro and Bill Clinton.

............ thinking aloud ........... in the wee small hours ..................

Comment

The comeback kid is irritating me I feel I should know it and yes I had forgotten Bill Clinton but it seems far too widely used nowadays - after what seems pages of this band you mention Google comes to Ed Milliband?????

Comment

Both mercia and antongould have mentioned one of the three. Two of the three achieved high office in the same field.

Comment

<scratch head> I guess that means Bill Clinton is one of the three but not necessarily one of the two

Comment

He's both.
                      Think Meryl Streep.

Comment

Hmm. I was wondering about a Lincolnshire Posy, but if Clinton is "one of the three", then Thatcher isn't. (The Earls of Lincoln are the - well, a! - Clinton family. But then who is the Iron Lady? (Or, of course, what?) And "the Bear": Chekhov (in all his spellings ) Walton?

Or, Barabara Castle (MP for Blackburn) and Walton = Lancashire. But then it'd have to be a different "comeback Kid". (Peter Mandelson reputedly mistook Lancastrian delicasy Mushy Peas for Guacomole.)

STUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Hmm. I was wondering about a Lincolnshire Posy, but if Clinton is "one of the three", then Thatcher isn't. (The Earls of Lincoln are the - well, a! - Clinton family. But then who is the Iron Lady? (Or, of course, what?) And "the Bear": Chekhov (in all his spellings ) Walton?

Or, Barabara Castle (MP for Blackburn) and Walton = Lancashire. But then it'd have to be a different "comeback Kid". (Peter Mandelson reputedly mistook Lancastrian delicasy Mushy Peas for Guacomole.)

STUCK!
                          Clinton is one of the three, and Thatcher another. 'The Bear' translates as 'Blackhead'.

Comment

Meryl Streep is Thatcher in The Iron Lady - so is a clue within the film credits?

Comment

Oh, so Stormin' Norman, then?

Comment

Yep - so, we have Margaret Thatcher, Norman Schwarzkopf and Bill Clinton - who have all appeared in recordings or performances of ....?

Comment

Working...
                                X