• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    120!
    JM and Lili spot on. But a different Shadow!

(And I'm impressed with your lightning reflexes, Norf: it took me much longer to "research"!)
    I presume that you are looking for Otakar Kraus, who premiered the role of Nick Shadow in The Rake's Progress.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      I presume that you are looking for Otakar Kraus, who premiered the role of Nick Shadow in The Rake's Progress.
      I am indeed! (Also the first Tarquinius in Britten's far from sub-standard Rape of Lucretia and King Fisher in The Midsummer Marriage - not that these extra clues were needed.)

Who the L's next? I suggest Lightning Norf!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Thank you - 'L' coming up shortly!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Which 'L' links (a) The Iron Lady, (b) The Bear and (c) The Comeback Kid? (Of the three, one is slightly musical).

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The link is musical.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

well wikipedia gives a list of 20+ politicians who can be called The Iron Lady, and apparently it's also a nickname for the Eiffel Tower.
              for The Bear we have a play, an opera, several films, a symphony, a fairy tale, a Margrave of Brandenburg, a 19th century politician and an "underground LSD cook" !! I vaguely remember Barbara Castle appearing in a previous question, I wonder if she's the Iron Lady. or perhaps, more topically, Angela Merkel. the only Comeback Kids I have are a Canadian band, Fidel Castro and Bill Clinton.

............ thinking aloud ........... in the wee small hours ..................

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

The comeback kid is irritating me I feel I should know it and yes I had forgotten Bill Clinton but it seems far too widely used nowadays - after what seems pages of this band you mention Google comes to Ed Milliband?????

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Both mercia and antongould have mentioned one of the three. Two of the three achieved high office in the same field.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

<scratch head> I guess that means Bill Clinton is one of the three but not necessarily one of the two

Comment

• Norfolk Born

He's both.
                      Think Meryl Streep.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Hmm. I was wondering about a Lincolnshire Posy, but if Clinton is "one of the three", then Thatcher isn't. (The Earls of Lincoln are the - well, a! - Clinton family. But then who is the Iron Lady? (Or, of course, what?) And "the Bear": Chekhov (in all his spellings ) Walton?

Or, Barabara Castle (MP for Blackburn) and Walton = Lancashire. But then it'd have to be a different "comeback Kid". (Peter Mandelson reputedly mistook Lancastrian delicasy Mushy Peas for Guacomole.)

STUCK!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Hmm. I was wondering about a Lincolnshire Posy, but if Clinton is "one of the three", then Thatcher isn't. (The Earls of Lincoln are the - well, a! - Clinton family. But then who is the Iron Lady? (Or, of course, what?) And "the Bear": Chekhov (in all his spellings ) Walton?

Or, Barabara Castle (MP for Blackburn) and Walton = Lancashire. But then it'd have to be a different "comeback Kid". (Peter Mandelson reputedly mistook Lancastrian delicasy Mushy Peas for Guacomole.)

STUCK!
                          Clinton is one of the three, and Thatcher another. 'The Bear' translates as 'Blackhead'.

Comment

• Anna

Meryl Streep is Thatcher in The Iron Lady - so is a clue within the film credits?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Oh, so Stormin' Norman, then?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Yep - so, we have Margaret Thatcher, Norman Schwarzkopf and Bill Clinton - who have all appeared in recordings or performances of ....?

Comment

Working...
                                X