This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hercule
    well that's exhausted all the E's I can find connected to a canopied penny-farthing so I'm stumped now. I expect everyone else is waiting patiently in the wings.
    It's another Welsh and another TV connection...

I'll be back in an hour

Comment

The canopied Penny-Farthing was the symbol of The Village in McGoohan's cult TV series The Prisoner... That had a Welsh setting, but I'm damned if I can find any E connection... let alone involving lager or butter...
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-01-11, 16:26. Reason: Attempting unsuccessfully to iron out the bug that seems to have included the word 'setting' twice in my message...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        The canopied Penny-Farthing was the symbol of The Village in McGoohan's cult TV series The Prisoner... That had a Welsh setting, but I'm damned if I can find any E connection... let alone involving lager or butter...
        Well, "The Prisoner" was filmed at Port-Meirion, designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Well, "The Prisoner" was filmed at Port-Meirion, designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis...
          Yes and I saw a Mr Elms wrote the music, hence an earlier suggestion above I presume.

I'm also thinking McEwan's lager.. (not something I try to do very often...).. but then the train of my thought plunges off the viaduct.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Exactly the connection I was looking for.

I presume from his last post that Hercule has solved the other two Ellises so I will wait to let him explain those and then invite him to set the next question.

Comment

I'm also thinking McEwan's lager.. (not something I try to do very often...).. but then the train of my thought plunges off the viaduct.
              That is a Scottish brew, is it not? Wrong mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                That is a Scottish brew, is it not? Wrong mainland.

Good Lord, I have just looked it up... it seems that for a number of decades I have wrongly associated the word "Hibernian" with Scotland. Due to the football club I suppose.

Tonight, thanks to the Alphabet Associations thread, I shall end the day somewhat better informed, even though (to paraphrase F. E. Smith, later Lord Birkenhead L.C.) none the wiser.

Comment

Good Lord, I have just looked it up... it seems that for a number of decades I have wrongly associated the word "Hibernian" with Scotland. Due to the football club I suppose.
                  Don't fret, o ugly one, I did exactly the same on the old message boards during a heated discussion on Tippett's use of folksong...

Comment

i'm not well up on butter commercials but if any of them use the song "Spread a little happiness", that was written by Vivian Ellis

(i'm not well up on lager commercials either so if any of them feature a song by an Ellis .....?)
                    Two down, one to go. Which instrument?

Comment

thanks!! - Harp lager, Osian Ellis?

Well done, got there in the end. The F word is all yours!

Comment

What F connects one who went high for Stan, another wrote a mere 5 pieces for piano opus 9 while a third perhaps sang for a BMus?
                        I don't like it when it goes quiet

My Stan is Stan Kenton

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                          I don't like it when it goes quiet

My Stan is Stan Kenton
                          Thanks, I can now stop obsessing with Getz

Ferguson?

Maynard (high notes trumpeter), Howard (mere Bagatelles) and Sheila (she of the 3 Degrees, aka Prince Charles's favourite group)
                          Last edited by Guest; 25-01-11, 21:41. Reason: Added reasoning

Comment

Which G unites the enigmatic Lisa, a troupe of ostriches and a violinist who supposedly brought people to God?

Comment

Gioconda?

(Mona Lisa, the animated ostriches in Fantasia dance to Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours from La Gioconda and Gioconda de Vito played violin for Pope Pius XII).

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                                Gioconda?

(Mona Lisa, the animated ostriches in Fantasia dance to Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours from La Gioconda and Gioconda de Vito played violin for Pope Pius XII).
                                Easy, wasn't it? Although the last was actually a reference to a letter an audience member wrote to her saying he was no longer an atheist.

I think we're now ready for another slightly more cryptic offering for H?

Comment

Working...
                                X