This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Been upgraded to a Suite in me Paree hotel, taking advantage of the Wifi! No idea about this question though...

Yay a suite no less! How swanky!

No-one has any idea about this puzzle, methinks Caliban

Enjoy your evening

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well, I've looked at Fairfax....
      sorry for a red-herring; it looked promising to me - if you google fairfax plus the various names of the composers you find that the Fairfax Orchestra has done a lot of their works...

O well - early supper and then The Mentalist...

Comment

Another clue: Haydn had his own orchestra, which broadcast light music on the BBC in the 1930s.

Comment

Surely not Henry Hall - did everyone know RVW subtitled the 3rd Movement of his Partita for Double String Orchestra "Homage to Henry Hall"?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Surely not Henry Hall - did everyone know RVW subtitled the 3rd Movement of his Partita for Double String Orchestra "Homage to Henry Hall"?
            I didn't anton!

And Lennie the Lion's 'friend' was Terry Hall, I recall

Comment

Further clues:

Harold Rossini, double bass, was a founder member of LPO and RPO.

Suffragette Millicent is not related.

Actress Farrah is not related.

Comment

I think I'll wait for another 4 or 5 clues.

Comment

Fawcett?

Comment

Probably but why?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      Fawcett?
                      Hot and cold taps? Froid and The Savoy Orpheans Ice Cold Maidens?

Comment

There's a family of farmers in Tadcaster called Fawcett.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                          Fawcett?
                          That's the one. A remarkable family descended from John Fawcett of Tadcaster (c.1770-1855) that produced 36 professional musicians. Many of the males were given the names of composers (two Handels and two Mendelssohns in addition to the ones I listed). Several of the family played in the Halle Orchestra.

I was taught by a member of that family. He taught art (and failed miserably with me). His brother (Victor) played double-bass in LPO.

Off to Norfolk for a G.

Comment

Aha:
                            Sir Thomas Beecham paid a generous tribute to Verdi Fawcett, the leader of his orchestra. He drew attention to this family of musicians with Christian names borrowed from the great composers; two Handels, a Joseph Haydn, a Weber, a Mendelssohn and two Verdis. There is still a Mendelssohn Fawcett living in Eccleshill.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

John Lucas, in his biography of Beecham, does not list Verdi Fawcett as the leader of Beecham's orchestra. If he was it was not for very long. His main role was recruiting (as well as playing the violin).

Comment

I honestly don't think I deserve the chance to set the next question, seeing as the reference to 'Actress Farrah' made it obvious that the answer was 'Fawcett' and I didn't have the faintest answer why this was so. Would somebody else like to set 'G'?

Comment

Working...
                                X