X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To borrow from Snooker-speak, here is a shot to nothing.

Is the answer "Les"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      To borrow from Snooker-speak, here is a shot to nothing.

Is the answer "Les"?
      Ah yes, Pope Les I...! A diamond geezahh...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It certainly fits element 2 of the question. But the others....??
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

“As I recall, Doversoul's question was: what L connects a pope, flourishing art and a stage full of countertenors?”

Ligeti?

Comment

I was in a bit of a state and did not think too thoroughly but had enough sense left not to go for le, la, les and love. I’d better specify a bit.

The first clue should be ‘papal employment’ but this is not terribly significant, and the answer is a name of a person.

[ed] 3rd VS. Does he fit in all three? If he does he is another one (not my answer).

P.S. My computer will be off until about 7.30 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            [COLOR="blue"]Ah yes, Pope Les I...! A diamond geezahh...

We're back on Coronation Street and the Battersbys.

But I think there is method in this madness. Well, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              I was in a bit of a state and did not think too thoroughly but had enough sense left not to go for le, la, les and love. I’d better specify a bit.
              I was thinking of Les Pope, criminal overlord in the novel "A Good Way to Die" by Simon Kernick.

But I will go back to sleep now

Comment

We're back on Coronation Street
                Oh, God, please, no... not again

Comment

I was thinking of Les Pope, criminal overlord in the novel "A Good Way to Die" by Simon Kernick.

But I will go back to sleep now
                  I thought I’d better add to my previous post (about la la la…). I’ve got myself into enough troubles already.

Comment

The first clue should be ‘papal employment’ but this is not terribly significant, and the answer is a name of a person.
                    I must admit I'm struggling with this, and the best fit I can come up with is Stefano Landi...

His magnum opus has been recorded by LAF and would appear to involve large numbers of castrati from the papal choir
                    Last edited by Guest; 27-01-11, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      I must admit I'm struggling with this, and the best fit I can come up with is Stefano Landi...

His magnum opus has been recorded by LAF and would appear to involve large numbers of castrati from the papal choir
                      You have got the right answer but the third clue is not quite what I was thinking. However, as the answer is correct, I’d say Yes, and over to you for M.

The work I was thinking was Il Sant' Alessio. It had seven (or was it eight?) countertenors for the performance.

Comment

You have got the right answer but the third clue is not quite what I was thinking. However, as the answer is correct, I’d say Yes, and over to you for M.

The work I was thinking was Il Sant' Alessio. It had seven (or was it eight?) countertenors for the performance.
                        Sant' Alessio was indeed the work I was referring to, although as I'm sure you know, they would have been real castrati, not countertenors, in the original performance. I couldn't find any reference to his papal employment other than that he may have sung in the papal choir.

Comment

Sant' Alessio was indeed the work I was referring to, although as I'm sure you know, they would have been real castrati, not countertenors, in the original performance. I couldn't find any reference to his papal employment other than that he may have sung in the papal choir.
                          Ah, no. I didn’t know the work by that name. I have no exact date of the staging but this is the DVD version performed by Les Arts Florissants.
                          Benjamin Lazar's production stays just the right side of both camp and morbidity. An acquired taste, but beautifully done

As for the papal employment: In 1624, Pope Urban VIII (a Barberini) assigned him clerical duties at Saint Peter's Basilica and appointed him maestro di cappella at Santa Maria ai Monti, in Rome. For performance of these duties the Pope granted him a permanent cleric's benefice (Bother, I didn’t keep the link).

I admit that this was rather an obscure reference. I only remembered this as one of the reviews of the performance had a headline, ‘Pope’s assistant wrote an all castrati opera’ or something to the effect.
                          Last edited by doversoul1; 27-01-11, 21:24.

Comment

Oh, God, please, no... not again
                            I'm rather afraid further outbursts of 'Corrieitis' can't be ruled out if some of us find some questions too difficult to start with - or too frequently revised. As far as I can gather, somebody has answered part or all of the 'L' question and we await a hopefully not-too-cryptic 'M'. I'm just about to watch the second half of the Bach B Minor Mass on DVD, but am recording tonight's Coronation Street (just in case...)

Comment

Ah, no. I didn’t know the work by that name.
                              Huh... What name? I referred to his magnum opus, meaning his 'greatest work' (in his case, Sant' Alessio) O Magnum Opus...

Anyway, moving swiftly on...

Which M was struck by a fighter while dabbling in the kitchen at half-time?

Comment

This sounds absolutely fascinating - I shall give it some serious thought tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X