X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

before you give clues can I quickly guess either London or Louisville?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      before you give clues can I quickly guess either London or Louisville?
      I'm going to have to push you to choose one! And why!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        trouble is they're not very good reasons

London because the Ibert Bacchanale was written for an anniversary of the Third Programme, so ...... BBC .....London, and Panufnik I think lived in London, can't connect the Honegger
        or Louisville for the not very good reason that the Ibert and Honegger both appear on a Louisville SO CD, can't connect the Panufnik

so ........... far from convincing, and very incomplete

EDIT - well I've now found the Panufnik on another Louisville CD, but I'm sure this can't be the connection
        Last edited by mercia; 10-12-11, 18:31.

Comment

It's not nothing to do with Les Six is it? No, obviously not.
          Bllimey, you are such a tease!

Comment

oh dear, have I put the kibosh on this question? I didn't mean to

Comment

trouble is they're not very good reasons

London because the Ibert Bacchanale was written for an anniversary of the Third Programme, so ...... BBC .....London, and Panufnik I think lived in London, can't connect the Honegger
              or Louisville for the not very good reason that the Ibert and Honegger both appear on a Louisville SO CD, can't connect the Panufnik

so ........... far from convincing, and very incomplete

EDIT - well I've now found the Panufnik on another Louisville CD, but I'm sure this can't be the connection

Well I think you've got it: but a conflict of sources throws some confusion into the mix. The connection is Louisville, mercia

The presence on those records is due to the fact that, according to what I read, all three pieces were commissioned by the Louisville Orchestra (as indeed was Ibert's "Louisville-Concert" (but that would have been too easy):

Honegger's "Suite Archaique"
              Panufnik's "Nocturne for Orchestra"
              Ibert "Bacchanale"

But but but

I see another source is confirming that you're right mercia, Bacchanale was written for the 10th anniversary of the Third Programme.

What to do? Mercia, whilst handing you a for getting there despite the confusion, I wonder if you would like me to relieve you of the M as penance for my imperfectly researched L? I always sense that you are happy to be relieved of setting questions!!

On the other hand, I think scb was on the trail, so maybe if he has an M burning a hole in the brain....??

Comment

ah, well I was obviously way off the mark so SCB should definitely pick up the baton

(+ as you so rightly say, I hate setting questions )
                Last edited by mercia; 10-12-11, 19:39.

Comment

ah, well I was obviously way off the mark so SCB should definitely pick up the baton

You weren't!! What the L are you talking about? You were on the button!!

However... SCB???

Comment

mercia; I was in Lausanne (with a brief trip over to Lucerne): that's what's called being "obviously way off the mark"!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

SCB seems to be offline, and I'm conscious that the ambiguity of my L may have delayed things.

So here's something to keep things moving

An M to connect:

1) Shostakovich
                      2) Handel
                      3) Marguerite, Jeanne and Jean-Paul

Comment

just to say, I'm rather taken with the (new to me) Honegger, so thanks for that

Arthur Honegger (1892-1955): Suite archaïque, per orchestra (H. 203) (1950/1951) -- The Louisville Orchestra diretta da Robert Whitney --I. Ouverture. Largem...

the Ibert's a bit wacky as I suppose one might expect

Jacques Ibert (1890-1962): Bacchanale, per orchestra (1956) -- Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux diretta da Yutaka Sado --cover image: painting by Lawrence Al...
                        Last edited by mercia; 10-12-11, 20:43.

Comment

just to say, I'm rather taken with the (new to me) Honegger, so thanks for that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzHn-xuhr4
                          Me too, mercia!

Comment

Excellent. I am gratified, as the bishop... &c. &c.

Comment

the Ibert's a bit wacky as I suppose one might expect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtNzx...4D93D9E29D74B5

I think "Bacchanale" is awesome... it's like Shostakovich and Prokofiev doing a Sabre Dance of the Seven Veils together in a Paris whore-house

I've got this CD which also features the "Louisville-Concert" and other Ibert gems - you can get a sample blast of the Dutoit/Montréal version of "Bacchanale" (or download the whole piece for £1.09 - terrific performance!): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibert-Flute-...3546557&sr=8-1

Comment

Well I think you've got it: but a conflict of sources throws some confusion into the mix. The connection is Louisville, mercia

The presence on those records is due to the fact that, according to what I read, all three pieces were commissioned by the Louisville Orchestra (as indeed was Ibert's "Louisville-Concert" (but that would have been too easy):

Honegger's "Suite Archaique"
                                Panufnik's "Nocturne for Orchestra"
                                Ibert "Bacchanale"

But but but

I see another source is confirming that you're right mercia, Bacchanale was written for the 10th anniversary of the Third Programme.

Sorry not to have responded earlier. I have just got back from a Human Rights Day event.

I had got Louisville, but I was puzzled over the Ibert, as there IS a Bacchanal linked with Louisville - 6th movement of Museum Pieces by Philip Rhodes, inspired by a Flemish painting of that name in the J P Speed Art Museum in Louisville which commisioned the work.

Comment

Working...
                                X