This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Well, my thought about the 'No' was that it was to do with Luigi Nono, but obviously it wasn't him. Norfy got the No No Nanette so perhaps he should set it as I'm not going to be around (and I still don't understand about the maiden on yonder hill)

It's so interesting to have different mind-sets here, I begin to see what my dad means when he says he can tell from the clues and answers who has set various crosswords. I get the Nanette - Nannerl link, also the trio member's breakthrough is Pavarotti shooting to stardom with 'Nessun dorma' I think... and 'No, John, no'... yes I see where you're coming from.

If Anna is otherwise engaged, my vote is for Norfs ! Pity, as it's ages since Anna's given us one. (Quiet at the back!!!)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well, my thought about the 'No' was that it was to do with Luigi Nono, but obviously it wasn't him. Norfy got the No No Nanette so perhaps he should set it as I'm not going to be around (and I still don't understand about the maiden on yonder hill)
      The song 'There Is A Maiden On Yonder Hill' contains the words 'Oh, no John, no John, no', which I assume is an allusion to John's wandering eye. I looked up the meaning of 'otiose' but am no further forward...(do 'parsing') as far as greenilex's question is concerned (but then, I only got a Lower Second )
      Would anybody like a (hopefully) straightforward 'O'?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        The song 'There Is A Maiden On Yonder Hill' contains the words 'Oh, no John, no John, no', which I assume is an allusion to John's wandering eye. I looked up the meaning of 'otiose' but am no further forward...(do 'parsing') as far as greenilex's question is concerned (but then, I only got a Lower Second )
        Would anybody like a (hopefully) straightforward 'O'?
        Yes please, NB

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Yes please, NB
          Ditto Please! Otiose means indolent doesn't it? I vaguely remember struggling with parsing, that may have been in a former life of course!

Comment

Which 'O' quoted from the French national anthem in one composition, quoted from an Italian opera with a Swiss hero in another, amused Meyerbeer and irritated Wagner?
            (Anna: 'Otiose' also means 'serving no practical purpose or result')

Comment

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
              Well, parsing the word No is a trifle otiose and as a gesture I find it clearer.
              I'd have thought any definition of gesture must involve posture, movement or action, but no hard feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                Which 'O' quoted from the French national anthem in one composition, quoted from an Italian opera with a Swiss hero in another, amused Meyerbeer and irritated Wagner?
                (Anna: 'Otiose' also means 'serving no practical purpose or result')
                Is it Offenbach, or am I falling into a cunningly-laid trap?
                La Marseillaise is quoted in Orpheus in the Underworld*
                William Tell (the ranz de vaches in La Perichole**
                ... and he fits the bill for Meyerbeer and Wagner.

* I once played Jupiter in an amateur production
                ** I once played Timps in an amateur production
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Darn you fhg!!! I'd just thought "It's Offenbach!"

(I always think of 'otiose' as being a synonym of 'superfluous')

Comment

(I always think of 'otiose' as being a synonym of 'superfluous')
                    I always think of it as the composer of (Sitti' on the) Dock of the Bay

Comment

I always think of it as the composer of (Sitti' on the) Dock of the Bay
                      Drole, very drole

Comment

Drole, very drole
                        Or even, droll, frightfully droll (if you are Anglo-Saxon) You and your fancy French ways! I did have a go at finding an O, and although I know and can sing the first verse, I had no idea the rest of the anthem was so gory.

Comment

Yes, it is Offenbach, and no, there's no cunningly-laid trap (I just thought it would be nice to move along with a fairly straightforward question). I was unaware of the connection with 'La Perichole', as I was thinking of the 'patriotic trio' from 'Guillaume Tell' which he quotes in 'Le Belle Helene'. But you certainly get to set the 'P'

Comment

Which P was present at the birth of

A Cross Essex girl
                            A Parisian father
                            A murderous wedding?

Comment

An hour-and-a-half and it's all gone very quiet. Just in case everyone's baffled (and apologies if Carol Concerts are behind the silence) there are three Musical works involved which lead you to a Musician. The last "element" is probably the weakest "link": think of a synonym for "wedding" and I think everything else will fall into place.

Comment

An hour-and-a-half and it's all gone very quiet. Just in case everyone's baffled (and apologies if Carol Concerts are behind the silence) there are three Musical works involved which lead you to a Musician. The last "element" is probably the weakest "link": think of a synonym for "wedding" and I think everything else will fall into place.
                                The second and third suggest Sir John Pritchard, who conducted the premieres of King Priam and The Midsummer Marriage, but I cannot find anything relating to the first.

Comment

Working...
                                X