This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    The second and third suggest Sir John Pritchard, who conducted the premieres of King Priam and The Midsummer Marriage, but I cannot find anything relating to the first.
    Whoops, I was looking for an "O".... (Slinks off, embarrassed.... )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The second and third suggest Sir John Pritchard, who conducted the premieres of King Priam and The Midsummer Marriage, but I cannot find anything relating to the first.
      Correct, scb. Notice that "Cross" begins with a capital letter.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Correct, scb. Notice that "Cross" begins with a capital letter.
        I did, but I cannot find a work involving St Helen or the Cross that Pritchard premiered.

Comment

I did, but I cannot find a work involving St Helen or the Cross that Pritchard premiered.

Singer Joan Cross?

EDIT: I was going to say GLORIANA in which she took the leading role at the première with JP conducting, but HM Queen Elizabeth I was hardly an Essex girl...

Comment

Now have a very eggy face as I think I meant not otiose but outre with an acute accent on the final e. It's probably me that's otiose.

Somebody tell me which part of speech or indeed linguistic phenomenon the word "no" comes under? It can be used adjectivally but is really a negative particle, do you think?

I really like "No, John, No", especially the tune. The joke is that John keeps asking her to marry him and getting the brush-off until the last verse, when he demands if she'd prefer to remain single for the rest of her life - "Oh, no John. no John. no John no!"

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Singer Joan Cross?

EDIT: I was going to say GLORIANA in which she took the leading role at the première with JP conducting, but HM Queen Elizabeth I was hardly an Essex girl...
              Oh yes she was, Cali!

Comment

So, just to put this to sleep:

The answer is Sir John Pritchard, who conducted the premieres of Britten's Gloriana (the story of Elizabeth I's - originally played by Joan Cross - passion for the Earl of Essex), and both Tippett's Midsummer Marriage (by pun associated with Midsomer Murders) and King Priam (the father of Paris). There is a common link between the two Tippetts in "Troy", but I thought that that was pushing it!

Pritchard was an infuriating conductor: caught on a good day, he was the finest conductor these shores have produced. On a less than good day (and there were a lot of these, sadly) he could be routine and even dull.

So, 2/3 of honours to SCB and 1/3 to Cali. Who's next in the Q?

Comment

A short Q to link a Britten opera, a squeezebox, and an organ.

Comment

Quintessentially what are you exactly getting at?
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Quintessentially what are you exactly getting at?
                      I think you have got there. Care to elaborate?

Comment

Sorry, I cheated. Quint was the only Britten character I could think of. Then I googled the word: -

Peter Quint, a principal character in the novel The Turn of the Screw
                        A free-bass system for the Accordion invented by Bill Palmer
                        A type of stop on a pipe organ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quint
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Oh, well done, Flay (accordion to my converter, there's a good chance that scb will ask you to organize the next question!)

Comment

Sorry, I cheated. Quint was the only Britten character I could think of. Then I googled the word: -

Peter Quint, a principal character in the novel The Turn of the Screw
                            A free-bass system for the Accordion invented by Bill Palmer
                            A type of stop on a pipe organ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quint
                            That's the set. Will we have a long or a short R?

Comment

Damn it, now I'll have to think about something when I should be doing other things... <doh>
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Damn it, now I'll have to think about something when I should be doing other things... <doh>
                                Yay it's Mr Flay!

Comment

Working...
                                X