This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Don, have just checked Fenby's own sleeve notes to the Barbirolli ASD2477 recording, the title Late Swallows was coined by Delius himself. "When we were away from home, Fred missed the swallows most," Mrs D is recorded as saying.
    rubbernecker,

Many thanks for this, one less thing to worry about at 3am!

Comment

Maria Malibran, as I'm sure we've all googled by now...

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        rubbernecker,

Many thanks for this, one less thing to worry about at 3am!
        This thread is getting dangerous!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Maria Malibran, as I'm sure we've all googled by now...
          indeed so, rubbernecker.

Googling, forsooth - I didn't know I was inhabiting such a thread...

Yes: Sacha Guitry made a fillum about her, and Candy Darling and Maria Cebotari both played her in other films.

Comment

Google can often be the question setter's undoing, hence the need to be a little cryptic. I'm departing from the rules slightly in only giving two references here:

What N links 10 composers to cricket?

Comment

And I've commended pilamenon for Liszt instead of vinteuil for Lvov. For the Lvov of Mike - Woe is me!
              Yes, I thought I'd finally cracked it, and had my M question lined up. I hope subcontrabass will concede that Liszt does fit his original criteria, too, if not quite as snugly as Prince Lvov.

Liszt composed a large amount of music for piano, but also symphonic works, rhapsodies, a requiem, several masses and oratorio. Among these we find the oratorio "Christus", which contains not only a full scale Stabat Mater Dolorosa, but also a Stabat Mater Speciosa.

Comment

Google can often be the question setter's undoing, hence the need to be a little cryptic. I'm departing from the rules slightly in only giving two references here:

What N links 10 composers to cricket?
                easy - Nardini, Nielsen, Nicolai, Nigg, Nono, Nordraak, Novak, Nowowiejski, Nussio, Nyströem,

were definitely Not interested in cricket.

Comment

Pilamenon - go on, give us your M poser...

Comment

Nah, it's getting hard enough as it is without instituting a sub-thread. Besides, subcontrabass and Simon might object.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                      Nah, it's getting hard enough as it is without instituting a sub-thread. Besides, subcontrabass and Simon might object.
                      I'm re-jigging my M poser in the hope of being able to use it later in the alphabet. The only trouble is solving the previous letter.

Comment

The only trouble is solving the previous letter.
                        Yes, time for a clue, please, rubbernecker.

Comment

Is it "No-Ball"?

Obviously it is a cricket term. "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball", sung to the tune of the "Colonel Bogey March", officially has ten variants on the original version, credited to Toby O'Brien, which reads - "Göring has only got one ball/Hitler's [are] so very small/Himmler's so very similar/And Goebbels has no balls at all".

Either this or "neoclassicism".
                          Last edited by Guest; 20-12-10, 01:10.

Comment

If I am right, I'd like to do - "What O links a Beethoven piece that lacks many of LVB's hallmarks, a dashing 60s hit that was subsequently recorded by 6music's Cerys Matthews, and a record of importance to every member of the FoR3 forum?

If I'm wrong, don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              If I am right, I'd like to do - "What O links a Beethoven piece that lacks many of LVB's hallmarks, a dashing 60s hit that was subsequently recorded by 6music's Cerys Matthews, and a record of importance to every member of the FoR3 forum?

If I'm wrong, don't worry about it.
                              I assume the 60s hit re-recorded by CM must be (On) White Horses. But I can't link the rest...

Comment

Hello Pilamenon - Thanks for this but it isn't "(On) White Horses". Lat.

Comment

Working...
                                X