• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Four? (Last Songs, Temperaments, Quartets)
    Yes! It was rather straightforward, wasn't it!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

OK, here's a 'G' (NB: I shan't be taking any calls until after 'The Killing')
      Which 'G' links: a classical composer and two singer-songwriters (one of whom annoyed women's libbers), all of whom died aged 55?

Comment

• Anna

OK, here's a 'G' (NB: I shan't be taking any calls until after 'The Killing')
        OMG!!! Neither was I. Well, Cor luv a duck, blimey, who would have thunk it? And, did I hear right, a new series coming in the New Year? Those jumpers are indestructible it seems!! I'm so glad I bought one for next time I fancy a psychopath! Sorry, I do wander off topic, sausages and sweaters ......... No Hope
        Last edited by Guest; 18-12-11, 00:14. Reason: speylinge

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Careful, love ....think of those who may have recorded it! (Without giving anything away, I would describe the last episode as sensationally good).

Comment

• Anna

Careful, love ....think of those who may have recorded it! (Without giving anything away, I would describe the last episode as sensationally good).
            Oh, Norfy called me 'Love' Yes, sorry, for those who recorded it disregard me, Oh, it was complete rubbish. Don't watch. Fat Thomas did it! (I love him, such a big cuddly man)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I have just finished watching both episodes, moments ago. I'm not saying I understood how every detail fitted in but... yes, gripping and classic. And yes, Killing III is in the pipeline!

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Which 'G' links: a classical composer and two singer-songwriters (one of whom annoyed women's libbers), all of whom died aged 55?
                well G-G-G-Gerald Finzi died age 55 but I think that's a blind alley

(so did M-M-Moeran)

Last edited by mercia; 18-12-11, 07:39.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

It's not a blind alley. In one case, you're looking for an award (or honour), in the other two cases for the titles of compositions.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

It's not a blind alley. In one case, you're looking for an award (or honour), in the other two cases for the titles of compositions.
                    This is intriguing:
                    There is a Finzi award (to help finance Arts projects)
                    There is also a film Just Like a Woman whose protagonist is a cross-dresser called Gerald/Geraldine. The score is by "John Box", of whom the entire Internet has nothing further to say (other than suggest a different name).
                    Then there's the bandmaster Geraldo, who was 70 when he died.

So perhaps this is the "Blind Alley"?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The linking 'G' is not a name.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        This is intriguing:
                        There is a Finzi award (to help finance Arts projects)
                        There is also a film Just Like a Woman whose protagonist is a cross-dresser called Gerald/Geraldine. The score is by "John Box", of whom the entire Internet has nothing further to say (other than suggest a different name).
                        Then there's the bandmaster Geraldo, who was 70 when he died.

So perhaps this is the "Blind Alley"?
                        Re "John Box" I'm reminded that Gore Vidal wrote a 'tec series published under the name of "Edgar Box".

This might mean everything & nothing ... and as such it would surprise no-one on here familiar with my contributions

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

The linking 'G' is not a name.
                          Intriguinger and intriguinger.
                          So "Gerald" wasn't a blind alley, but the name isn't directly involved?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Ivor Novello was 55 when he died, and there are the eponymous Awards.

Ivor Gurney was 57, but he's a G.

Lovely "Christmassy" view from my study today.

(Three facts, none of which may be relevant to this puzzle.)

Anyone got any more sausage recommendations?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The linking 'G' is an adjective. As the classical composer has already been correctly identified, it follows that our two singer-songwriters worked elsewhere in the musical world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

This is a really intriguing puzzle (speaking as a Finzi fan)! Not getting very far, I was groping around Gloucestershire and Ivor Gurney but the clues have eliminated them from my enquiries...

Comment

Working...
                                X