X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

how old is Miss Havisham supposed to be when Pip first goes to play?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Anna - perhaps you might do better to Kindle mercia's enthusiasm...

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        No, Norfy, but an adaptation is not necessarily true to the original, and nothing can improve on the David Lean film at the beginning, so it was right to have Magwitch a bit Robert de Niro like and rising from the swamp. And, Estella is too plain and Herbert Pocket is not a Posh Lout. And Pip is too gay male modelly pouty. But, we shall see, we shall see Wot Larks may come about. And, it seems they've changed the ending. I look forward to Wemmick's Aged Parent and the raising of the drawbridge. I love that Aged Parent seque don't you? Trouble is, I've just recently read the book, so where is Biddy, I ask?
        Anna - prepare for disappointment - my scouts tell me they have dropped Biddy - and the Agèd P...

I think, however, that (judging by episode 1) this is otherwise a pretty impressive attempt - photography, acting, directing. A good sense of menace, and in part the child's eye view. However what they don't capture at all is the humour, which resides so much in Dickens's prose style. Ah well.

Comment

• Don Petter

I'm sorry to intrude upon your transports. Turn your back for thought and Critics' Forum springs up!

Here we go, an easy one (but they all say that):

A single I which could represent three persons, identical in two obvious respects, but differing in the size of performing ensemble with which they are perhaps best known (three, four or more).

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Anna - prepare for disappointment - my scouts tell me they have dropped Biddy - and the Agèd P...
            Story of me life Vints, story of. I always had me eye on an Aged Pa and me own drawbridge and a cannon, wot boomed....... And a Barristers Clerk, Quoth the Raven .... Nevermore

No, I am looking forward to next episode. I think, mercia, Miss H. would have been around 40?

I think we should concentrate on the new puzzle, but I would love to have our very own Jaggers (aka Rumpole) views, at some stage. Now, I am off to deal with some salmon and salad, after the excessives of Christmas, something light appeals.
            Last edited by Guest; 28-12-11, 18:16. Reason: additional thought

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              how old is Miss Havisham supposed to be when Pip first goes to play?
              wiki says in her 50s...

Miss Havisham is a significant character in the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations (1861). She is a wealthy spinster, who lives in her ruined mansion with her adopted daughter, Estella, whom she has sent to France, while she herself is described as looking like "the witch of the place."
              Although she has often been portrayed in film versions as very elderly, Dickens's own notes indicate that she is only in her mid-fifties. However, it is also indicated that her long life away from the sunlight has in itself aged her, and she is said to look like a cross between a waxwork and a skeleton, with moving eyes.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I would love to have our very own Jaggers (aka Rumpole) views, at some stage.

Well I have just watched episode 1. I am going to start a thread about it. I thought the adaptation totally absorbing but also regret certain omissions.. Certain characters are inevitably missed out (but the Agèd P...! ), but the absence of the humour as noted by vinchaud is a pity, and... well, I'll expatiate elsewhere. But in general I loved it as an interpretation.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Here we go, an easy one (but they all say that):
                  The answers are almost always "easy": it's the questions that are beggars!

A single I which could represent three persons, identical in two obvious respects, but differing in the size of performing ensemble with which they are perhaps best known (three, four or more).
                  This one for example!

I take it we're looking for a trio of performers with the same surname (or even related, or two related, one not) one of whom plays in a (Piano?) Trio, another in a (String?) Quartet, the third in an orchestra? So a bit like the Chungs (Kyung-Wha, Myung-Wha and Myung-Whun) but beginning with I?

Or should I stop now and make the tea?

EDIT: it's that "could represent" that intrigues me!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I take it we're looking for a trio of performers with the same surname (or even related, or two related, one not) one of whom plays in a (Piano?) Trio, another in a (String?) Quartet, the third in an orchestra? So a bit like the Chungs (Kyung-Wha, Myung-Wha and Myung-Whun) but beginning with I?

Or should I stop now and make the tea?

EDIT: it's that "could represent" that intrigues me!
                    Dear fhg,

Thank you for your interest in the letter I (I thought I might be on the wrong planet for a while).

[No clues above, and not many below, at this stage]

The could is merely there because I like to be precise in these matters, there are many of these Is in the world, but we are only interested in three.

In broad terms, you are doing pretty well. A couple of minor wrong assumptions, which I'll not correct at present.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Just a thought: Israel?

The Israel Piano Trio
                      The Israel String Quartet
                      The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

... but your "three persons" doesn't quite "fit" this ... ?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Just a thought: Israel?

The Israel Piano Trio
                        The Israel String Quartet
                        The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

... but your "three persons" doesn't quite "fit" this ... ?
                        Your conclusion is correct (that they don't fit), though your ensembles are spot on in composition. Don't get in too much of a blinkered view on the last, though. (Not a hidden clue.)

Comment

• Flay
                          • Mar 2007

Could it be Italian? The Amadei Italian piano trio: Liliana, Marco and Antonio Amadei
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            Could it be Italian? The Amadei Italian piano trio: Liliana, Marco and Antonio Amadei
                            A very reasonable thought, but no. The I attaches to the individuals, not the groups.

I'm afraid I'm off to bed shortly, so after a final check in a few minutes, I'll catch up with your progress in the morning.

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Last attempt: I Musici ???

But that's the group again. Time for bed...
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Don Petter

Me too ... it'll all seem better in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X