X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    E for effort
    some hard work going on here - it is certainly one of those, I'm just pondering whether if I tell you exactly which one that will give the answer away immediately

ok - it's the Adirondack

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      some hard work going on here - it is certainly one of those, I'm just pondering whether if I tell you exactly which one that will give the answer away immediately

ok - it's the Adirondack
      Cheers mercs - you know me - even the most searingly obvious clue can often be not the slightest use!

Later: Ooooh there's a place called Marble Falls in the Adirondacks - not one solitary letter u in the whole thing

Comment

I'm afraid the only significance of the Adirondacks is that that is where the composer first thought of writing U

what did el-Eizariya used to be called?

put the answer to that in the melting pot (so to speak)

Comment

I'm afraid the only significance of the Adirondacks is that that is where the composer first thought of writing U

what did el-Eizariya used to be called?

put the answer to that in the melting pot (so to speak)
          Al-Eizariya used to be called Bethany, innit

Comment

Bethany

Comment

Bethany marble is used in urns and there's a band called Urn?

Little Ern: How much is grecian urn?

Eric: thirty bob a week!! - [boom-tssssssh]

Comment

is Bethany the name of a tune?

EDIT ......... that might be used in a composition

Comment

It's fascinating watching this, like a comedy version of Wimbledon

Great work on a great question, ams and mercs

I've no idea about the solution, but ammy hacking his way through the Undergrowth...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

is Bethany the name of a tune?

EDIT ......... that might be used in a composition
                    Tis the name of the tune for 'Nearer my god to thee' composed by Sarah Flower Adams. It is what the band played as the Titanic sank.

According to wiki:

"A dramatic paraphrase of the hymn tune was written for wind band by the Danish composer, Carl Nielsen. His version includes a musical rendition of the collision between boat and iceberg.[19] The composer Sigfrid Karg-Elert, moved by the Titanic tragedy, wrote six works based on the "Bethany" setting, including an organ fantasia.[20] "Bethany" is also quoted in Charles Ives's fourth symphony.[21] The French organist Joseph Bonnet wrote "In Memoriam – Titanic", the first of his Douze Pièces, Op. 10, based on the tune Horbury. It was published the year after the Titanic sank.[22]

The hymn even made its way briefly onto the operatic stage. The singer Emma Abbott, prompted by "her uncompromising and grotesque puritanism" rewrote La traviata so that Violetta expired singing not Verdi's Addio del passato, but Nearer my God to Thee"

** slumps back in chair, exhausted and utterly defeated**

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      It's fascinating watching this, like a comedy version of Wimbledon
                      New balls please

And a wipe down with an oily rag

Comment

"Bethany" is also quoted in Charles Ives's ........... symphony

** slumps back in chair, exhausted and utterly defeated**
                        you're there (nearly)

sorry about the work involved
                        people obviously don't cheat like I do. if I was answering this I would put "marble" "Adirondack" and "composer" into a search box and found an answer

Comment

you're there (nearly)

sorry about the work involved
                          people obviously don't cheat like I do. if I was answering this I would put "marble" "Adirondack" and "composer" into a search box and found an answer
                          Lawks mercs - am I now looking for a composer beginning with U?

Comment

Lawks mercs - am I now looking for a composer beginning with U?
                            Just follow the master, ams! As mercia says, put the words into google and have a look down the results!

Go for it - you deserve it!

Maybe another little bonus question to keep us going?

I think it's rather good to have these 'wild card' questions to tide things over where question setters are unavoidably detained!

Nice one mercs!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

no, U is not a composer, but obviously a composer is involved

time for misery ending and a well-deserved lie down/drink/whatever for ammie

the answer is Universe Symphony by Charles Ives, conceived in the Adirondack Mountains, making use of a "slab of marble" in the percussion section and quoting the hymn tune Bethany

well what can I say, it passed the time in a not very comfortable way .......... poor ammie
                              I think the W question will be of a much higher standard (couldn't be lower )

Comment

Believe me, I have Caliban!

"Not a sausinge" as Bluebottle was wont to say

I'll try again - or why don't you leap in? I'm losing the will to live here & I need my nap

Comment

Working...
                                X