This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Ammy said Gil first, Anna got two elements.

I'll leave it to you to decide who gets H

Meanwhile: noted re the Welsh festival... But the date is still based on the Julian calendar, n'est-ce pas?
    Clearly Anna's - I'll brook no argument

Also I'm going out soon to Royal academy of Music to listen to their orchestra tackling Shostakovich symphony no 5 under Tadaaki Otaka, that fine honorary Welshman

Comment

Hope you enjoy that Ams! I'm going offline in a moment for about an hour and a half. So I have cobbled together a ridiculously easy one, I expect it will be solved by the time I return and we will have moved on to the next letter!

Which H links:
      Hugh the Drover
      Lord George
      An expedition to Italy which was a success
      An Regal expedition to Sussex which did not end well for someone

All musical except for the last!

Comment

In the words of Albert Steptoe:

'AROOOLLD!!

Harold Child (wrote libretto of RVW's opera
        (Lord George Brown was in Harold Wilson's first Government)
        Harold en Italie
        Harold Goodwinson, last Anglo-Saxon king, before the chap with 'is 'awk in 'is 'and.

... not sure about the second as it's not musical?

EDIT: unless 2 & 3 are linked, Lord George Byron writing the poem on which Berlioz drew his inspiration?
        ... or My Sweet Lord George Harrison?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

'AROOOLLD!!

Harold en Italie
          Harold Goodwinson, last Anglo-Saxon king, before the chap with 'is 'awk in 'is 'and.

EDIT: unless 2 & 3 are linked, Lord George Byron writing the poem on which Berlioz drew his inspiration?
          Strewth ferney! Marvellous stuff - barely touched the sides on its way thru, innit

Comment

'AROOOLLD!!

Harold en Italie

I'm back sooner than I thought. Well done Ferney and your Edit produced 100% correct answer, it was Lord George Byron connecting Berlioz. I had thought King Harold might delay matters ...... So well done, in record quick time. Over to you for an Intriguing I

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Strewth ferney! Marvellous stuff - barely touched the sides on its way thru, innit

I'll see ammy's 'Strewth' and raise you a 'Blimey' and a 'Flippin 'eck!'.... 7 minutes for that lot. I would have had no chance.

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Caliban, while we wait for Ferney's puzzle; going back to Breakfast and the Gwaun Valley, can you remember approx what time that segment aired and are you quite sure they said Christmas on Jan 13th? (Sorry about this but it's been annoying me all morning and I would like to try and find it on iplayer)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Caliban, while we wait for Ferney's puzzle; going back to Breakfast and the Gwaun Valley, can you remember approx what time that segment aired and are you quite sure they said Christmas on Jan 13th? (Sorry about this but it's been annoying me all morning and I would like to try and find it on iplayer)
                  It's on the lunchtime national News (BBC TV) NOW, Anna. They've just announced the item as "New Year".

Comment

It's on the lunchtime national News (BBC TV) NOW, Anna. They've just announced the item as "New Year".
                    Well as long as they have it correct now I will refrain from writing a letter of complaint!
                    edit: I fail to see why it's news - it's been happening since 1752!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      It was between 8.20 and 9am... Worth catching the interview with the engaging and impressive Tom Hiddlestone about his role in the new Spielberg 'War Horse' - not a film I shall watch (just thinking about what the manipulative clichéd score will be like turns my stomach) but he is worth listening to.

Sorry to have spoilt your morning!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

An I to link:

A New Music Ensemble founded in 1991
                        A nosey hound's album of 2008
                        Judge Holden's rifle

... I thangyew!

Comment

... well, it ain't the ensemble InterContemporain - 'cos Boulez founded that in 1976

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... well, it ain't the ensemble InterContemporain - 'cos Boulez founded that in 1976
                            CORRECT!

... it's not!

Comment

Psappha ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                Psappha ?
                                Ah! I hadn't realized that Psappha was "born" in the same year. The relevant ensemble is an Italian group.

Comment

Working...
                                X