X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much inspiration here, either. Winterreise comes to mind, as a W, but I can't see how.

Or maybe Liszt's 'Annees', but this is straw-grasping at the moment.

Comment

Is the answer "Williams" (as in Vaughan)?

Williams follows Which in dictionary;
      Songs of Travel; and
      Full Fathon Five (from The Tempest) from Three Shakespeare Songs.

Comment

Don is well on his way; Tapiola here, I'm afraid, is cold (and not in a way that would help... )

Comment

Got to admit, though, that Tapiola's is a darn good answer. Wish I could think as laterally (literally?)as that !

Weber? Two operas

Das Waldmädchen ..she seems to travel a bit

Oberon (Tempest)
          Last edited by Guest; 07-02-11, 16:54.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            Don is well on his way; Tapiola here, I'm afraid, is cold (and not in a way that would help... )
            He may be, but he doesn't have the faintest idea where he is going!

(And if there's one thing I really hate, it's cold Tapiola.)

Comment

I originally read the clue as "Travails and Tempests" so of course immediately thought it was Thomas Wyatt's Protestant plot to overthrow Mary Tudor (as you do), then I went down the same path as Tapiola with The Tempest and R V-W's Songs of Travel, then I had a brief dalliance with Percy Bysshe Shelley, or even Mary. But that was just me being fanciful. So, no, I haven't a clue!

Comment

While we're waiting....
                Has anybody ever monitored the menu on the wall of Roy's Rolls? I would be interested in any statistics relating to the frequency with which the menu changes, and also in price movements relative to RPI (making due allowance for local inflation and other factors). Please send your answer to: https://www.corriefreaksarereallyqui...tingpeople.com.
                Thank you.
                PS: I DO hope Sally isn't going to make a fool of herself. Judging by her attack of schoolgirlishness last night (what an actress!) the signs are'nt good.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                  I DO hope Sally isn't going to make a fool of herself. Judging by her attack of schoolgirlishness last night (what an actress!) the signs are'nt good.
                  I think we can rely on Sally to let herself down. For me, that is part of her attraction

Back on "W", I am still flailing in the murk. Another randomised wager: is the answer "Wilhelm"?

Comment

Don's #1285 has one-third of the answer: all three are relatively well-known pieces of classical music.

This was intended to be an easy one, requiring no knowledge of Swedish jazz singers, Antarctic births, nineteenth century Parisian gastronomy, Italian graveyards...

Comment

One third of the answer? I must try to build on that.

At the moment all I have is this vision of ongoing Teutonic vocal angst, with 'Wohin?', 'Wasserflut', 'Wafna!', wayfarers waying, wandering and wondering, waiting and wanting, whispering and whimpering and weeping and wailing and wreaking, and yet ...... somehow winsome?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        One third of the answer? I must try to build on that.

Teutonic vocal angst, ?
                        Teutonic vocals certainly help for one of the still-to-be-looked-for answers...

For what it's worth you might like to note the difference between the original clue at #1280 and how I amended it at #1284 to try and help:

"... Following which, what are travels and tempests, anyway?" ...
                        "... Following which, what are 'travels' and 'tempests', anyway?" ...

Comment

A semi-blind guess:

Wotan?

Comment

Musical quotations of other works (musical or literary)?

Could Winter perhaps be the required common factor? What is the third item - could it be a play on the word anyway, and am I therefore in danger of being hoist by my own petard?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              A semi-blind guess:

Wotan?
                              not Wotan - but one of the answers does occur in one of those operas where he features...

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                ...Could Winter perhaps be the required common factor? What is the third item - could it be a play on the word anyway, and am I therefore in danger of being hoist by my own petard?
                                Don, you're practically there. But 'anyway' is a red-herring. Altho' it is in one sense one of last answer. But then so is everything in this text...

Comment

Working...
                                X