X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Just thought of this:

Which E links two sets of Baroque Orchestral Suites
    and Symphonies by Haydn, Mahler and (after Toscanini) Stokowski?

Best Wishes; back later!
    are you counting the Song of the Earth as a Mahler Symphony?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      are you counting the Song of the Earth as a Mahler Symphony?
      But of course!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

what are there four of? Elephants!
        <doh> twenty minutes later I get the joke

Comment

Anyone care to finish this off? Vinty, methinks is being coy?

Comment

yes, I'm looking forward to another vinty question especially if it involves mohr radio 3 presenters

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Mine's an English Breakfast and a slice of Victoria sponge, please ferns

Just the one, ams?
              Regarding my performances on here, Calibrate, I deliberately mentioned just the one (Mrs Wembley! )

I am sooo modest!

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know ... with so much to be modest about

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I am sooo modest!

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know ... with so much to be modest about
                Just as I am here to broaden my knowledge!

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know ... I have plenty of room to do so*

(* with acknowledgments to the writers of 'Kind Hearts and Coronets')
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Having got up at what seems the crack of dawn to await a delivery I thought (not having been able to join in lately) there may be a new puzzle to occupy the time but I see we are waiting for vinteuil to finish things off and set the next. Shall I move things along and hopefully fill in a couple of gaps while we wait for him?
                  I think one Baroque is Purcell's When I am laid in Earth and the Stowkowski refers to the film Fantasia Rite of Spring Adoration of the Earth.

Comment

well done Anna - you could always F off if you see what I mean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      well done Anna - you could always F off if you see what I mean!!!
                      Thank you anton, for that kind remark! Puzzle not solved though, anyone can grab it, we need a Baroque Suite and a Symphony I think (I hate waiting in for deliveries, just trying to ease the boredom and always that feeling of unease - suppose they've forgotten me!)

Comment

folks - I'm not going to be able to set a puzzle this weekend - but as far as I can see the E was for the four Elephants -

Water (suites by Handel and Telemann)
                        Fire (Haydn Symphony)
                        Earth (Mahler das Lied von der Erde)
                        Air...

Would Anna like to - what can I say? - "I suppose a F is out of the question?"

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Having got up at what seems the crack of dawn to await a delivery I thought (not having been able to join in lately) there may be a new puzzle to occupy the time but I see we are waiting for vinteuil to finish things off and set the next. Shall I move things along and hopefully fill in a couple of gaps while we wait for him?
                          I think one Baroque is Purcell's When I am laid in Earth and the Stowkowski refers to the film Fantasia Rite of Spring Adoration of the Earth.
                          Ah, no, my dear Watson! "Earth" is just one - ahem - component

Forget Purcell, stick with Telemann who wrote an orchestral suite with the same name as another contemporary's orchestral suite(s).
                          The Mahler Symphony is The Song of the Earth

The "Stokowski Symphony" is a bit of a wheeze, but not a cheat.

Comment

folks - I'm not going to be able to set a puzzle this weekend - but as far as I can see the E was for the four Elephants -

Fire (Haydn Symphony)
                            Air...

Would Anna like to - what can I say? - "I suppose a F is out of the question?"
                            Well Yes, a F is out of the question as I got it totally wrong! I missed the Elephant in the room completely!

Comment

folks - I'm not going to be able to set a puzzle this weekend - but as far as I can see the E was for the four Elephants

Fire (Haydn Symphony)

So we now just need an "Air Symphony" connected with Leo Stokes after Toscanini ...

Comment

Morning, Anna, anton, ferne and vinrouge! Peeling off for CD Review now. Have a nice walk, verredevin!

I shall probably have a snooze around 9.35...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X