X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapiola - thank you for your kind words. I await confirmation of whether or not my answer meets with DP's approval (he's offline).

Comment

I'm trying to be online in a cafe with my new Android(!) gizmo.

Yellow River Concerto is correct. Madame Mao supposedly recruited at least six musicians from the conservatory to carry out the conversion from Cantata to Concerto.

Official solution:

The Yellow River Cantata, supposedly written in a cave by Xian Xinghai, was, under the instructions of Madame Mao, transformed into the Yellow River Concerto by six or more Chinese musicians after the Tiananmen Square protests thirty years later.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-02-11, 09:50. Reason: Added official solution for posterity(!)

Comment

Aha. A further elucidation of the 6.

Comment

Is it me - or you, Tapiola? You were the first to mention Yellow Cantata/River, whereas I introduced Madame Mao. (I have an 'A' question ready, but it can wait).

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
            Aha. A further elucidation of the 6.
            Over to Ofca for Z or A ....

Comment

I also have an "A" waiting, OFCACHAP - should we let Don decide?

Comment

Over to you then, OFCA...

Comment

OK thanks - I'll do the same for you when the opportunity arises!
                  Which 'A' links (or more accurately linked) the abbreviated forms of the following:
                  (a) a Canadian province; (b) an island republic; (c) a written afterthought, and (d) a land-locked African republic?
                  The order of the clues is significant, as is their number.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                    I also have an "A" waiting, OFCACHAP - should we let Don decide?
                    Tapiola,

re my #1320, typed in the cafe:

Sorry about that. Still getting used to my new 'on the hoof ' gizmo, which is not ideal for quickly leaping around threads to check on past posts, particularly when a page change is involved. Still, like Dr Johnson's dog walking on two legs 'It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all.'

Anyway, it needed the judgement of Solomon, since you (first) got the Yellow River Cantata, then Ofca got that it started in a cave and was turned into the Concerto, which was the real answer, under Madame Mao. No-one got the six or more slaving musicians, so I guess we call it a score draw!

If nothing else, it might keep Ofca away from his TV for a few moments, which must be good for his constitution?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      If nothing else, it might keep Ofca away from his TV for a few moments, which must be good for his constitution?

(I've just spent the last two-and-a-half hours checking a text on the disposal of spent lubricating grease, to the accompaniment of Hits Of the Thirties, Forties and Fifties. What that's done for my constitiution, I'm not quite sure. )

Comment

Well, a Canadian Province is Alberta, abbreviated to Ab which of course is A flat. Will this puzzle spell out a tune? Let me guess, it'll be the theme music from Corrie!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Well, a Canadian Province is Alberta, abbreviated to Ab which of course is A flat. Will this puzzle spell out a tune? Let me guess, it'll be the theme music from Corrie!

Sounds plausible (a tune, that is - there's nothing plausible about Corrie?), but how do we work in 'PS'?

Comment

but how do we work in 'PS'?
                            something with addendum or addition, perhaps?
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Sounds plausible (a tune, that is - there's nothing plausible about Corrie?), but how do we work in 'PS'?
                              But, maybe not a P.S. but an Addendum? Which would be adagio in shorthand? Possibly, or not. Should I start watching Corrie for Cryptic Clues? I'll leave it to you guys to sort out as I have to go now, I think it's ABC conundrum.

Edit: Just seen Pianorak's posting which has crossed, due to me being slow typist
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-02-11, 20:15.

Comment

The African landlocked republic could be Ethiopia with Addis Ababa the capital giving us another A to play with.
                                And Atlantis the island republic?
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X