X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Bravo, Anna

Are you going to go all the way and finish it off?

EDIT: Sorry, that should have been Brava, I think...
    Would that make the Rossini The Thieving Magpie?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I enjoyed it more than the book, to tell the truth.
      Ah colour and movement, colour and movement! ...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Might the spiritual be 'Steal away....'?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The score of Michael Berkeley's opera 'Jane Eyre' was stolen. But it was his father who took Nelson as a subject.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Clemence Poesy is also much more beautiful than Lady Mary (if we are discussing success of productions purely on good looks!)
            She's amazing isn't she?

(I have a real problem with the flat, dull voice and delivery of the person who plays Mary in Downton... I don't want to be disobliging about her looks, but the voice kills any allure)
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
              The score of Michael Berkeley's opera 'Jane Eyre' was stolen. But it was his father who took Nelson as a subject.
              No, it's not Berkeley, NB, but you're spot on with The Thieving Magpie and Steal Away...

The Nelson is Oliver Nelson, jazz saxophonist/arranger and composer of the classic 'Stolen Moments' which will be familiar to our jazz brethren messageboarders.

I must depart henceforth, so I'll leave it to you and Anna to tussle over L.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

(I have a real problem with the flat, dull voice and delivery of the person who plays Mary in Downton... I don't want to be disobliging about her looks, but the voice kills any allure)
                Totally agree, totally wooden. I also had an increasing problem with Downton's scripts! Birdsong got good review in the Guardian and Telegraph gives it 4 stars http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ne-review.html
                Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                I must depart henceforth, so I'll leave it to you and Anna to tussle over L.
                No, it's Norfy who got it all (I had to abandon it and go and do something useful!)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Working on an 'L'....

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Where might two singers and a composer keep, or have kept, their savings?

Comment

• amateur51

Where might two singers and a composer keep, or have kept, their savings?
                      Lloyd's Bank?

Robert Lloyd
                      Marie Lloyd
                      George Lloyd

Comment

• amateur51

Blimey!

Anyone for a seance?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Not sure of the significance of this message, but the previous one was spot on. Congratuations - the 'M' is yours.

Comment

• amateur51

Not sure of the significance of this message, but the previous one was spot on. Congratuations - the 'M' is yours.
                            I was indicating that I was feeling rather alone in the apparently spirit world of AA, Norfs

What M links a Toscanini protegé whose son developed a famous string style with a Paris-based composer and a Latin-American strummer and plucker?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              I was indicating that I was feeling rather alone in the apparently spirit world of AA, Norfs

What M links a Toscanini protegé whose son developed a famous string style with a Paris-based composer and a Latin-American strummer and plucker?
                              We do apologize for the delay in replying to your previous message. Your custom IS important to us, and we DO value your contributions. Unfortunately, your dedicated online interlocutor decided to fix himself some lunch and then turned on his wireless apparatus for a most excellent concert by the Takacs Quartet

Comment

• amateur51

We do apologize for the delay in replying to your previous message. Your custom IS important to us, and we DO value your contributions. Unfortunately, your dedicated online interlocutor decided to fix himself some lunch and then turned on his wireless apparatus for a most excellent concert by the Takacs Quartet
                                Twas a cracking concert I thought, Norfs - I went to a perfomance of Antonin's 'American' quartet locally last evening, so I was 'in the mood'
                                Last edited by Guest; 23-01-12, 15:24. Reason: getting my 'r's sorted

Comment

Working...
                                X