X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

What M links a Toscanini protegé whose son developed a famous string style with a Paris-based composer and a Latin-American strummer and plucker?
    Milton?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Milton?
      Not what it says on the card, scb

Comment

• amateur51

I have to go off-line for a while - I hope to be back by 18:00

Comment

• Anna

Puzzled by Ammy's M and subcontra's Milton (what was the link there I wonder?) Does the M in question refer back to a previous answer to a previous puzzle? Actually, why I am asking this, Ammy's gone offline, I am left talking to myself.... Seems an intriguing puzzle.

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Puzzled by Ammy's M and subcontra's Milton (what was the link there I wonder?)
            I got Milton Katims (one of Toscanini's proteges), the opera "Milton", composed by Spontini whilst living in Paris, and Milton Nascimento, Brazilian singer and guitarist.

My second offering is Milan.

Comment

• Anna

I got Milton Katims (one of Toscanini's proteges), the opera "Milton", composed by Spontini whilst living in Paris, and Milton Nascimento, Brazilian singer and guitarist.
              Thank you subcontra, for posting that, it's nice to see someone's workings. We must only await a verdict on Milan I think (and no, rest easy, I won't ask you how you arrived at that!)

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Toscanini's concertmaster Bismarck had a son - I guess that's where subc. gets his Milan from (I'm only guessing though)
                Last edited by mercia; 23-01-12, 20:01.

Comment

• amateur51

This is a cracking solution scb but again not what's on the card

The answer is possibly more mundane - if I were to say 'cascade of strings' praps?

Comment

• rubbernecker

This is a cracking solution scb but again not what's on the card

The answer is possibly more mundane - if I were to say 'cascade of strings' praps?
                    Mantovani

Annunzio Paolo Mantovani (1905–1980) - popular 20th century conductor and recording artist in the "light orchestra" style.
                    Bruno Mantovani (born 1974) - French composer.
                    Nicoletta Mantovani (born 1969) - the second wife of the late opera singer Luciano Pavarotti.
                    Roberto Mantovani (1854–1933) - Violinist and scientist, early proponent of the theory of Continental Drift.

Comment

• Anna

Next you'll be nudging us towards a Mantovani persuasion! Oh well, offline now, leave you all to solve it, bonne chance!
                      Edit: Well, blow me down, I have collided with rubberknickers it seems!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        Mantovani

Annunzio Paolo Mantovani (1905–1980) - popular 20th century conductor and recording artist in the "light orchestra" style.
                        Nicoletta Mantovani (born 1969) - the second wife of the late opera singer Luciano Pavarotti.
                        Roberto Mantovani (1854–1933) - Violinist and scientist, early proponent of the theory of Continental Drift.
                        Bravo rubbers!

My strummer & plucker was Luiz Mantovani http://www.luizmantovani.com/

Over to you for an N

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Mantovani

Bloody hell, great question great rummaging from rubs
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Bravo rubbers!

My strummer & plucker was Luiz Mantovani http://www.luizmantovani.com/

Over to you for an N
                            Apologies for missing out Luiz. If you don't even figure on the Wiki disambiguation page then, dahling, you really are a nobody!

I must admit I discounted Mantovani early on as I couldn't reconcile his dad being a protege (acute over the e) of Toscanini, if that's right?

Anyway, this shouldn't detain you too long:

An N to connect a Brazilian composer, an Indian-born conductor and a Scottish rock band

Comment

• Anna

We await an N from Lord Rubbers.

In the meantime, I will digress. I was persauded by Cali and Norfy to watch Corrie. I soon gave up except for Stephanie Cole but I see tonight Mad Becky will wreck the wedding between stupid Steve and even more dim Tracey. Now, this I must see, so forgive if I am not attempting to problem solve ce soir ....... I am all of a soapy lather!
                              edit: Rubbers always gets there first!

Comment

• amateur51

I must admit I discounted Mantovani early on as I couldn't reconcile his dad being a protege (acute over the e) of Toscanini, if that's right?
                                Praps protégé is a bit strong - wiki relates: "His father, Bismarck, served as the concertmaster of the La Scala opera house's orchestra in Milan, under the baton of Arturo Toscanini."

Comment

Working...
                                X