X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Nauru. an island republic? My ancestors were there!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Is it Nauru. an island republic? My ancestors were there!
      Could its abbreviation be SN? Seems unlikely. (If you are right, you could be disqualified for insider trading?)

Comment

Singapore any good? - sorry, got into the wrong line.
        Last edited by Pianorak; 08-02-11, 23:15. Reason: wrong answer
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Singapore any good? - sorry, got into the wrong line.
          You just beat me to it - sounds likely to me.

Comment

Where's Ofca when you want him? Dozed off in front of the telly, I'll be bound. Or he's slipped up on some spent lubricating grease and is out for the count?

Comment

International codes say Singapore is SG though. Nearly bedtime I think, let you guys sort it out! All will be clear in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                You just beat me to it - sounds likely to me.
                but it's SG - although I'd swear I saw an SN somewhere but can't find it again. Was S. N. perhaps adopted and his original name started with a G????? (clutching at straw!!!)

Anna beat me to it (the SG thingy).
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  International codes say Singapore is SG though. Nearly bedtime I think, let you guys sort it out! All will be clear in the morning.
                  Don't let the truth get in the way of a good theory.

Actually, it depends on which abbreviations Ofca was working with. I see that the URL abbreviation for Singapore is indeed 'sn'.

Cancel that - I couldn't read my google correctly. It is getting late, as Anna said.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good theory.

Actually, it depends on which abbreviations Ofca was working with. I see that the URL abbreviation for Singapore is indeed 'sn'.

Cancel that - I couldn't read my google correctly. It is getting late, as Anna said.
                    Yep - and I want this cleared up over night!

Comment

Just finished watching Kenneth Branagh's 'Wallander'.
                      NB (New Brunswick) + SN (Singapore) + PS (Postscript) + ML(Mali) become Norbert Brainin, Siegfried Nissel, Peter Schidlof and Martin Lovett = The Amadeus Quartet. After your splendid collective effort, I suggest that, as Pianorak got Singapore, he (or she) set a 'B' question, although Anna also played a major part.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        . . . After your splendid collective effort, I suggest that, as Pianorak got Singapore, he (or she) set a 'B' question, although Anna also played a major part.
                        Ofcachap - Since Anna also got Mali, I suggest that in all fairness Anna deserves to be the winner.
                        Anyway, I'm new to this cryptic lark and need a bit more practice. Hope that's ok. - Pianorak (still a he)

Comment

That's fine with me - how about it, Anna? Crypticity isn't essential - in fact, I think there's sometimes too much of it around. A fairly straightforward question of the type described in Message #1 would be fine - you can always become more cunning and devious with the passage of time. I'm particularly pleased that more people than usual attempted my 'A' question.

Comment

Chants of 'We want Anna!'

Comment

Ofca - While we await Anna's appearance could you please explain the link between SN and Singapore. (Told you I'm new to this and need more practice).
                              Last edited by Pianorak; 09-02-11, 12:13. Reason: nowt but typos today!

Comment

Oh, thanks very much guys, I feel very honoured but not sure if I'm up to setting anything cryptic! So can only come up with this rather simple one. Which you'll instantly get.

Which B wrote an orchestral suite named for his tutor B, acquired another B and composed a double B work.

Comment

Working...
                                X