X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. Falla considered Atlàntida (Atlantis) to be the most important of all his works. Posterity has not agreed with this verdict and performances of the piece have been extremely rare.

Comment

wiki tells us:
      Falla began work on the large-scale orchestral cantata Atlàntida (Atlantis), based on the Catalan text L'Atlàntida by Jacint Verdaguer. Falla considered Atlàntida to be the most important of all his works; posterity has not agreed with this verdict, and performances of the piece have been extremely rare. Verdaguer's text gives a mythological account of how the submersion of Atlantis created the Atlantic ocean, thus separating Spain and Latin America, and how later the Spanish discovery of America reunited what had always belonged together.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        ......This guy is also relevant. He lived in Paris. -

Pierre Drieu (it says under the photo )

Comment

Exactly vinteuil. The man who lived in Paris was also a writer but not of music.

am - Does it? Not on my computer it doesn't. It doesn't tell the whole story.
          Last edited by Guest; 27-01-12, 19:24.

Comment

... not a nice man

Comment

Sorry am. Did I delete one of your posts or mine? Anyway, not intended. Even I am getting confused. He wasn't a nice man vinteuil, no, but have you spotted anything yet about Drieu's name?

Comment

Just a plea. When whoever solves this can we have a full and frank explanation of the answer because at the moment I'm totally confused! (Oh, and it gives the name of Pierre Drieu on my computer as well)
                have you spotted anything yet about Drieu's name?
                It's a bit like Andre Rieu?

Comment

How odd am. Makes me wonder what also doesn't show on mine.

What have we here now? Manuel de Falla who composed Atlantis, Pierre Drieu etc, and Cow Island in a non-European area named after a shade of red.

I feel the warmth.

Time to look at that question again:

What F came from La Rochelle, hopped to Cow Island and inspired a song without words from the man who made Atlantis?
                  Last edited by Guest; 27-01-12, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    I confess that I've only just read about him but from the wiki article, your assessment seems to be spot-on, vints

But why then was he a chum of André Malraux who seems to have offered him some post-liberation protection? A puzzle

Comment

Yes but what was his full name?

Comment

Sorry am. Did I delete one of your posts or mine? Anyway, not intended. Even I am getting confused. He wasn't a nice man vinteuil, no, but have you spotted anything yet about Drieu's name?
                        No deletions that I've spotted, Lats

His full name is Pierre Eugène Drieu La Rochelle.

F isn't Fascist, is it?

Comment

No it isn't fascist or fascism. You need something else that came from La Rochelle and a song without words from de Falla, among other things.

Comment

Time to look at that question again:
                            What F came from La Rochelle, hopped to Cow Island and inspired a song without words from the man who made Atlantis?
                            I have looked at Cow Island in Maine, Montana and Ontario (the Haiti one was dismissed earlier) I am completely stumped, as all we have so far is Falla (I think) Lat, you are in danger of defeating us (and where is Dumbledore when you need him to cast his wizardly eye over things?)

Comment

among other things.
                              dontcha just love him?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I have looked at Cow Island in Maine, Montana and Ontario (the Haiti one was dismissed earlier) I am completely stumped, as all we have so far is Falla (I think) Lat, you are in danger of defeating us (and where is Dumbledore when you need him to cast his wizardly eye over things?)
                                My Cow Island is in the United States too but in the south.

Comment

Working...
                                X