X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fear that my question is a bit obscure. A third clue is that the surname of the French composer begins with a G.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      - An electronics wizard who developed a synthesizer for Disneyland - the man and his machine

Iceberg?

(I wonder if this question is leading to the thing that Anna says you musn't eat if taking warfarin?)

Comment

Fantastic. Iceberg is correct mercia. Here is the Wiki entry about Michael Iceberg and the Amazing Iceberg Machine -

Now you need the other ones cos they are required to have the M question.

Comment

lettuce hope mercia has them!

Comment

cos

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              lettuce hope mercia has them!
              he doesn't, Anton, so feel free to takeover

Comment

Just to recap, you are looking for

- a march by a 19th Century French composer whose surname begins with a G. The march has two titles and you need the earlier one.

- the birthplace of an American composer who changed his name from Alan and became known, among other things, for polyphony. The place is also home to a well known orchestra.

Comment

I've got an American composer named Alan from Somerville (near Boston ?) who changed his (Turkish) surname but not his forename

and Boston certainly fits into the lactucan theme

Comment

Yes, it is Boston. The Boston Symphony Orchestra is one of the five American orchestras commonly referred to as the "Big Five". The composer isn't easy but I can confirm that he was born in 1930. At the age of 17, his String Quartet in four movements was premiered by the Ziegler Quartet from the Boston Symphony Orchestra. In the same year, he studied conducting with Bernstein.

He also dropped the name Dexter.

Comment

Avram David born Alan Dexter Kemler

I think I was getting confused as to someone who changed their name to Alan rather than from
                      Boston was obviously a lucky stab earlier. I can't fault you on giving clues, you're virtually giving it away
                      (not that I can find this French march)

Comment

Yes, mercia, Avram David is correct. He was born Alan Dexter Kemler in Boston. Here are more details about the polyphony -

So you have Iceberg and Boston. You won't need a crisp head to find the third.

Comment

You are heading towards a conclusion.
                          sorry for my slowness. Working backwards from lettuce I find that Gounod's Marche pontificale is also called Marche romaine.

Comment

Yes. It was originally called the Marche Romaine. Iceberg, Boston, Romaine. Three lettuces. You did very well indeed. Have M.

Comment

Three lettuces. You did very well indeed. Have M.
                              brilliant original question it may be a while before M appears, but I don't think people are waiting on baited breath

Comment

Sorry, but Boston lettuce is not a term used in the UK? It's what we call a Butterhead lettuce I think?

Comment

Working...
                                X