X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As your Lordship pleases.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Angle was the first to indicate a solution.
      But Norfy was the first to actually say the R-word (in two solutions), subcontra finished it off, so under the rules I think that means Norfy gets it?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Norfy gets it?

Comment

Diffidently, I offer an 'S' question which I hope meets, if not with universal, then with a degree of, approval.
          Which device features in compositions by: (a) a Canadian song-writer born in a Royal Borough; (b) an Irish lawyer/poet; (c) a famous Northern pensioner born in a Grand Duchy; and (d) the son of a parish schoolmaster?
          Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            But Norfy was the first to actually say the R-word (in two solutions), subcontra finished it off, so under the rules I think that means Norfy gets it?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think the first is Leonard Cohen - the song Chelsea Hotel? The poet could be Duffy. Luxembourg "gave birth" to the broadcasting career of the late Jimmy Savile. The son of the schoolmaster could be Brooke.
              Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                the son of a parish schoolmaster?
                Schubert ?

Comment

I honestly thought I was getting somewhere with this, then I realised the Pensioner I had was a dead historical one (!) and, I have totally misread the question and failed to notice something significant in the wording <doh> And I fear I won't be around for a couple of hours now.

Comment

I have a horrible feeling that if the singer isn't Cohen, it is Bryan Adams who was born in Kingston (Ontario).

Comment

an Irish lawyer/poet
                      is this person a composer as well?

Comment

Don't think so. Duffy was a lawyer and a poet. We don't know though if it is him. My thinking is turning to the title "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)". Is there a literary device here? I don't know what - something like a "stutter"?
                        Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 20:05.

Comment

a famous Northern pensioner born in a Grand Duchy
                          is this person a composer and is the Duchy Luxembourg? other Duchies are available

Comment

Diffidently, I offer an 'S' question which I hope meets, if not with universal, then with a degree of, approval.
                            Which device features in compositions by: (a) a Canadian song-writer born in a Royal Borough; (b) an Irish lawyer/poet; (c) a famous Northern pensioner born in a Grand Duchy; and (d) the son of a parish schoolmaster?
                            A question for the distaff side, I think.

Comment

As In Arkwright? Richard (spinning) and the stutterer in Open All Hours? RA was born in Preston. The Duchy of Lancaster?

Charles Gavan Duffy incidentally wrote about a stuttering boy.

Comment

.....Hold on. Rupert Brooke - "Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle".

It has to be a stutter device.

Comment

Working...
                                X