X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Venice?

There is classical music festival in Venice, Italy and a beach music festival in Venice, Ca.
    There are Venetian connections for Rossini's cantatas.
    Not sure about the Orff elelment

(PS brain cells otherwise engaged these days, sorry not to be more present here )
    The V is actually the same in all instances, not just the same word.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      The V is actually the same in all instances, not just the same word.
      Péchés de Vieillesse?
      Could be, could not be. I am off now, sorry, leave it to others, if I am even half right.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        thanks for the very straightforward clues, Lat1 - I can cope with them. Are you an old Uppinghamian?
        I have no idea about sch's question. However, I can answer mercia's. No. I am an Old Whitgiftian but only in the sense of having been a pleb who was paid for by the local authority following an eleven plus-ish procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Péchés de Vieillesse?
          Could be, could not be. I am off now, sorry, leave it to others, if I am even half right.
          Somewhat earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
            Many apologies for my enforced absence - we've had a rather traumatic few hours here!
            While I was trying to find an obliging plumber to deal with an overflow, the lady wife returned home in some distress having had her purse stolen. Having now found a plumber and just been informed that the card has been handed in at the local police station (cards present, though we'd cancelled them, but no cash of course),

I just saw this for the first time... Jeepers!! I hope it's all sorted itself out with not too much expense.

I hope the dramas of the Carla rape trial are taking your minds off it all... I was pleased that they gave Becky a happy ending in the Caribbean!!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Somewhat earlier.
              OH, earlier? Maybe laters! No idea, others will

Comment

Only 10 mins ago had chance to look in. I had expected us to have passed the V and gone on to the next letter or beyond. However, it seems our number has dwindled, due to work, family commitments, stolen credit cards, etc. I did have a squint at Rossini, couldn't tie up one of his V cantantas to a Music Festival. Probably be like the No. 4 bus, you wait hours and three come along together!
                Figured out why it's so quiet, last day to file Tax Return to The Revenue!
                Tell me about it... (actually I got my returns done just about in time, although my accountant nearly had a breakdown ) The medical world has just gone barmy. Coughs and colds and the like, and everyone's basic human right not to be poorly, not even a sniffle etc etc.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

(a) two disparate music festivals (b) two cantatas by Rossini (c) some songs by Orff
                  struggling with this.
                  Orff wrote the Catulli Carmina and Catullus was from Verona. Verona has at least one festival, I can't find another at the moment. One of Rossini's cantatas (Il vero omaggio) was "presented at the Congress of Verona". Very little information online about Rossini's cantatas. There are various Carnevale and festivals in Verona, not particularly musical except the opera at the arena. There's a Verona in Canada which has some sort of festival.
                  EDIT - google now tells me that two cantatas were written for the Congress of Verona (1822)
                  The case for Verona strengthens. EDIT - is there a jazz festival in Verona?
                  Last edited by mercia; 01-02-12, 08:39.

Comment

struggling with this.
                    Orff wrote the Catulli Carmina and Catullus was from Verona. Verona has at least one festival, I can't find another at the moment. One of Rossini's cantatas (Il vero omaggio) was "presented at the Congress of Verona". Very little information online about Rossini's cantatas. There are various Carnevale and festivals in Verona, not particularly musical except the opera at the arena. There's a Verona in Canada which has some sort of festival.
                    EDIT - google now tells me that two cantatas were written for the Congress of Verona (1822)
                    The case for Verona strengthens. EDIT - is there a jazz festival in Verona?

Full house. W is yours.

Comment

well thank you. inspiration has deserted me, however, with a nod to the Uppingham question, four composers scholastically linked

W

a "blank card" ballet, Hammer film music, an opera based on a Somerset Maugham novel, and Evening Canticles in F minor

Comment

well thank you. inspiration has deserted me, however, with a nod to the Uppingham question, four composers scholastically linked

W

a "blank card" ballet, Hammer film music, an opera based on a Somerset Maugham novel, and Evening Canticles in F minor
                        James Bernard wrote films for Hammer pictures like The Devil Rides Out and Curse of Frankenstein
                        John Gardner wrote an opera called The Moon and Sixpence based on SM
                        Alan Gray wrote a Mag and Nunc in F minor

I have no idea about the ballet - but the above all went to Wellington College...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

James Bernard wrote films for Hammer pictures like The Devil Rides Out and Curse of Frankenstein

I have no idea about the ballet - but the above all went to Wellington College...
                          Bravo & welcome back, Calibration - just in case it's not right

Comment

brilliant stuff there Caliban. I have Gray as a teacher at said institution but you're probably correct. "blank card" is my loose translation from the French, should you wish to finish off, but you have more than earned custody of the baton.

Comment

John Addison "Carte Blanche" ballet?
                              Whoops! cross posted, should have waited for Caliban to finish it off!

Comment

John Addison "Carte Blanche" ballet?
                                Whoops! cross posted, should have waited for Caliban to finish it off!

Comment

Working...
                                X