This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    I'm assuming that Calipee means the X as in in Jerez *- as in Poe's Cask of Amontillado...

* which Calipee still reads (and why not?) as xérès

In each case the X or J is pronounced sh - as in sherry...

... and ( ) -

Further info -

et -

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xérès_(DO)
    Thirty flagons of sack to that man, I say!

Well done, Vinteuil, I'm afraid the Calib's cleverly crafted conundrum had me completely floored. I was in some nightmare Poe-ian scenario involving Orson Welles - Chimes at Midnight -Sandeman - Xanadu

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      I was in some nightmare -Sandeman yikes:
      When I was very very small, there was an off licence which had Sandeman cut outs in the window. They frightened me to death and I then always had to check under the bed that the evil man with a cloak was not there!
      Massive range of maxi posters, fine art prints, tin signs, wall art and gifts at up to 60% off! Fast delivery to the UK and worldwide and 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

Comment

I have a nice easy Y to hand -

"Where do Wagner and Kurtag meet on Wednesday?"

Comment

"Where do Wagner and Kurtag meet on Wednesday?"
          Don't you mean Kurtág?

Comment

Don't you mean Kurtág?
            Oh, You are indeed lovely, Rubbers. Have I ever told you that before? Well, as usual, I probably do not have a clue .... that Sandeman bloke has quite unsettled me, I wish I had not now looked.

Comment

Don't you mean Kurtág?
              ... o, good man rubbbers! well spotted: yes - György Kurtág - such shame I feel, to have made his accents disappear - quite lorst and gorn

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                that Sandeman bloke
                your link didn't work for me Anna, but I know what you're talking about

Comment

I'm assuming that Calipee means the X as in in Jerez *- as in Poe's Cask of Amontillado...

* which Calipee still reads (and why not?) as xérès

In each case the X or J is pronounced sh - as in sherry...

... and ( ) -

Further info -

et -

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xérès_(DO)
                  Retrospectively (as I was otherwise detained - apologies) well done, vinfortifié!! (I thought there might be some complaints about the X-J issue but thanks for taking it in good part).

Congrats and always nice to floor rubbers
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    your link didn't work for me Anna, but I know what you're talking about
                    Oh, just checked, link works for me. Wasn't he frightening? Did you have to check under the bed as well? (You never know what may be under there!)

Comment

Oh, just checked, link works for me.
                      but not for us - it's an HTTP 403 FORBIDDEN " The website declined to show this webpage" - which is just as frightening as your Sandeman cardboard cut-out...

Comment

but not for us - it's an HTTP 403 FORBIDDEN " The website declined to show this webpage" - which is just as frightening as your Sandeman cardboard cut-out...
                        But I CAN SEE IT, which makes it even more frightening and I know HE will be there, lurking. Oh dear. No, carry on. Now, what did Wagner do on a Wednesday?

Comment

But I CAN SEE IT, which makes it even more frightening and I know HE will be there, lurking. Oh dear. No, carry on.
                          What's to be frightened of? From the Sandeman website:

"Dressed like the Spanish caballeros de Jerez in a Portuguese student’s cape and wide-brimmed hat, the Don cuts a dark, dramatic figure with his glass of ruby coloured Porto." So just a drunken student.

My great-grandfather, grandfather and grandmother all worked for Colonel Sandeman at Fonab Castle in the 1890s.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                            What's to be frightened of? From the Sandeman website:
                            "Dressed like the Spanish caballeros de Jerez in a Portuguese student’s cape and wide-brimmed hat, the Don cuts a dark, dramatic figure with his glass of ruby coloured Porto." So just a drunken student.
                            My great-grandfather, grandfather and grandmother all worked for Colonel Sandeman at Fonab Castle in the 1890s.
                            So, Scottish. That's cool, in fact what a family history! You must be proud of that. Now have to go offline.

Comment

So, Scottish. That's cool, in fact what a family history!
                              They were all English.

Comment

Working...
                              X