• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    Opus 39: Douze études dans tous les tons mineurs
    (for solo piano)

Nos. 4-7 are labelled as the four movements of a sympony
    Nos. 8-10 are labelled as the three movements of a concerto
    No. 12 is "Le festin d'Esope (Aesop's feast)", a set of variations

Marcia funebre sulla morte d’un papagallo, 2S, T, B, 3 ob, bn (1859) is the march on the death of a parrot.
    Excellent scb. What's the theme of the variations do you think?

And how did he succumb fatally to the word of God, allegedly?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Excellent scb. What's the theme of the variations do you think?

And how did he succumb fatally to the word of God, allegedly?
      The theme of the variations is an original melody, but sounds a bit like a minor version of "Ten Green Bottles"
      (you can hear it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSxbao_Chq0 and elsewhere on YouTube).

It is rumoured that he died under a collapsed bookcase. He was strict Jew and widely read in religious matters. Wikipedia says: "For many years it was believed that his death was caused by a bookcase falling on him in his home, brought down as he reached for a volume of the Talmud from a high shelf."

Comment

The theme of the variations is an original melody, but sounds a bit like a minor version of "Ten Green Bottles"
        (you can hear it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSxbao_Chq0 and elsewhere on YouTube).

It is rumoured that he died under a collapsed bookcase. He was strict Jew and widely read in religious matters.
        Brilliant scb! Yes it's said that he was reaching for a copy of the Talmud on the top shelf when his bookcase collapsed on top of him, crushing him. Who knows?

Over to you for a B scb

Comment

Brilliant scb! Yes it's said that he was reaching for a copy of the Talmud on the top shelf when his bookcase collapsed on top of him, crushing him. Who knows?

Over to you for a B scb
          What B is a composer who:

(a) injured a hand in the service of a dictator;
          (b) was inspired by Joyce;
          (c) lived for a time in a town whose name makes one think of a different composer.

Comment

What B is a composer who:

(a) injured a hand in the service of a dictator;
            (b) was inspired by Joyce;
            (c) lived for a time in a town whose name makes one think of a different composer.
            Berio injured his hand dismantling a gun in the Salo army of Mussolini. He wrote Thema(Omaggio a Joyce) in 1958.

Comment

Berio injured his hand dismantling a gun in the Salo army of Mussolini. He wrote Thema(Omaggio a Joyce) in 1958.
              Cor blimey ammy! Better get sharpening your C for mercia's delectation in a couple of hours!!!

Can't get the third element... Tanglewood - Bernstein?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Cor blimey ammy! Better get sharpening your C for mercia's delectation in a couple of hours!!!

Can't get the third element... Tanglewood - Bernstein?
                Scb is no longer online, it seems, so I'm going to leave the name of the town to mercs' early morning ponderings

Nitey nite y'all!

Comment

ived for a time in a town whose name makes one think of a different composer.
                  Was it Verdi's Milan?

I'm amazed that we managed to have Alkan without any "foiled" jokes. I'm off to bed too, totally pooped. Work work work...
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    Was it Verdi's Milan?
                    It is the NAME, not the place itself, that links to another composer,

Comment

I was tired...
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Well, he lived a good while in New York. So... York Bowen?

He also lived latterly in Radicondoli, near Siena where he was buried. But that doesn't trigger off any associations.

And he was associated with Tanglewood and Darmstadt, but again ...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                          Well, he lived a good while in New York. So... York Bowen?

He also lived latterly in Radicondoli, near Siena where he was buried. But that doesn't trigger off any associations.

And he was associated with Tanglewood and Darmstadt, but so were a lot of other composers...
                          Eggsackerly, rubbers

Scb has gone awol again so it's just a case of wait & see

Comment

Also at Dartington (for a while I think) but that also doesn't make one think of any particular composer does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Also at Dartington (for a while I think) but that also doesn't make one think of any particular composer does it?
                              Well, that makes me think of Peter Maxwell-Davies, but let's not go there...

Certainly no composer called Dartington

Comment

I'm leaving in about 20 mins and I won't be back until late this evening so please carry on without me should I be granted the C eventually

Comment

Working...
                                X