X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Anna. You clearly know a lot more about the Goossens family than I do! (By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your 'Fuchs' answer, which I would never have known).
    On to 'H'.
    Who composed a regimental portrait that might make you think of actors born, respectively, in the Afan Valley and Limerick City?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      On to 'H'.
      Who composed a regimental portrait that might make you think of actors born, respectively, in the Afan Valley and Limerick City?
      I'm so close. But I'm about to go abroad for 36 hours... I shall cogitate as I travel. However unless I can get online, I imagine some smartypants will have swept in and got it!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

It's one of the Harris composers but not sure which one ? Richard Harris was born in Limerick City ...Richard Burton and Rob Brydon were both born in Afan Valley....but no Harris composer with either Christian name.

EDIT: Ahah....yes there is. Richard Harris born 1968

EDIT EDIT: But not him as I favour Roy Harris who wrote Symphony for Band 'West Point'(1952) [for US military band] which ties in with the regimental clue.

Probably neither and I'm way off beam and it's HARRISon BURTwhistle!
        Last edited by Guest; 10-02-11, 10:01.

Comment

I am way behind here. Thanks Anna for the fascinating information about Eugene Goossens. Sort of puts me in mind of this:

Anyway, the solution to H looks promising.

Comment

I'm afraid the composer's name is not Harris, but you're making progress - more than you possibly realize - as far as the actors are concerned.

Comment

The actors share the same Christian name, which doesn't begin with 'H'; one of them has a surname that begins with 'H', but the other doesn't. The circumstances under which they appeared together will help you identify the work in question, thence the name of the composer.

Comment

Just had a lightbulb moment: Hamilton Harty - Wild Geese - also a film starring Harris and Burton.

Comment

Hamilton Harty?

Both Richard Harris and Richard Burton appeared in The Wild Geese. "With the Wild Geese" is a work by Harty, which refers to an Irish Jacobite mercenary army.

Comment

We had a lightbulb moment together! Sir Harrison (combination of Harris and Burton) Harty 'With the Wild Geese' Well done, it's right I'm sure.

Comment

Good grief. A sudden gaggle of geese!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                        Good grief. A sudden gaggle of geese!
                        Ofca certainly had us on a wild goose chase for a while!

Comment

I got sidetracked for a while with Sir Anthony Hopkins, also Afan Valley born and then Camelot (Burton and Harris both in different productions) Between the Staves got us on the right track though, all credit to him. Away from the computer for a while now, see you later. Edit: Just realised I got it wrong and said Harrison not Hamilton!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-02-11, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Between the Staves got us on the right track though, all credit to him
                            Agreed. On that account I'm happy to let bts set "I"

Comment

Well done all! Hamilton Harty's 'With the Wild Geese' celebrates the exploits of a regiment of Irish mercenaries in America in the 18th century; the film starring Messrs. Burton and Harris is loosely based on the same story, updated and set in Africa. Over to bts for 'I'!

Comment

Gosh...that's very kind although I don't really think I deserve it. I will give the 'I' a little bit of thought...

OK...

"All jazzed up and turning a blind eye, sounds like they played before the levy."

What "I" links these three?
                                Last edited by Guest; 10-02-11, 15:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X