X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting nowhere slowly with this. The last part of the clue had me thinking of 'drove the chevy to the levy' of course and no I there. Then I was thinking Charles Ives.
    All jazzed up - there is a jazz festival at St. Ives. Turning a blind eye - Gen. Wm. Booth (Sally Army) lost an eye during an operation not long before his death. Vachel Lindsay wrote a poem (General Wm. Enters into Heaven) and Charles Ives set it to music as Gen. Booth's daughter lived next to his family and they were friends. As to the levy, then thought maybe Burl Ives? All totally wrong of course!!! But I just thought I would say.

Comment

Anna,

This sounds extremely impressive to me. I cannot get started on this at all.

Comment

Thanks Tapiola, not impressive, more like desperation! All jazzed up could be 'The Fourth of July' and the levy refer to 'My Old Kentucky Home' but I just wanted to say to BtS, we are thinking about it!! And getting nowhere. Maybe someone else has an inkling?

Comment

Anna, I think you're there with Ives. The Levy might refer to the draft into the US Army which Burl Ives opposed but eventually had to succumb to... ?

Comment

I'm inklingless at present, but continue to learn fascinating facts from Anna, who clearly has a brain at least as big as a medium-sized planet.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
              I'm inklingless at present, but continue to learn fascinating facts from Anna, who clearly has a brain at least as big as a medium-sized planet.
              Yes, more Monmouthshire than valley girl, I warrant!

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                Ah yes, fascinating arcane facts. I am full of them! Why do you think I always win Pub Quizzes? But not much good at cryptic, although I do attempt a crossword now and again. I don't think it is Ives, but I will let you into a secret. If I had won the last one (Harty) I would have chosen Ives so genned up on him a bit. He has so many totally weird titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Why do you think I always win Pub Quizzes?
                  Now I am seriously interested... I can't tempt you over to Crickhowell one Monday night?

Comment

Your early thoughts re chevy/levy is moving in the right direction, Anna. It isn't Ives.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      Now I am seriously interested... I can't tempt you over to Crickhowell one Monday night?
                      Gosh, that's the best chat up line I've heard for a while! But could I invite you instead to Mynyddislwyn?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Gosh, that's the best chat up line I've heard for a while! But could I invite you instead to Mynyddislwyn?
                        That would be great, but I don't think I'd be able to program it into the sat-nav... (although I do know you pronounce it mun-uth-is-loin )

Incidentally, and a propos nothing, while we go back to the drawing boards on I, someone's just sent me this. It's brilliant>>>

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                          Your early thoughts re chevy/levy is moving in the right direction, Anna. It isn't Ives.
                          Oh well, never mind. I'll leave it for a while for the guys to get their brains in gear. It is, presumably, an American composer? Are we thinking jazz orientated? Or maybe, it's not a composer? A painting?

Rubbernecker, only pubs I know in Crick are The Bear and the Nantyffin. Nice little town.

Comment

May I hazard a guess at Iowa?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              I always thought Des Moines sounded like a 1950s crooner Looking forward to looking in later and seeing this one solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post

Sorry, no.

Comment

Working...
                                X