This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
    Incidentally, Caliban, I was recently gifted Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich book, which instantly had me poring over the photographs therein. There are one or two rare shots of the man himself grinning (one with Britten, another - incredibly - during a rehearsal of that cheery little number, the 15th Quartet), though neither pic a patch on the inanely grinning imbibatorium wot adorns your profile.
    Welcome back, Taps

Have you had a chance to read Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich book? I got a very positive impression of her from the recent Rostropovich documentary on telly & I've been thinking about getting her book ever since. She was a witness to some extraordinary times and people

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I'm now kicking myself about the pistachio éclairs...
      ... and it's damned painful I can tell you (as well as being difficult to do!)

Your coffee-vanilla Nonne Indulgente sounds right up my street, Anna! I wish it had been!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        ... and it's damned painful I can tell you (as well as being difficult to do!)

Your coffee-vanilla Nonne Indulgente sounds right up my street, Anna! I wish it had been!
        Those pistachio éclairs look a bit ... green, innit Calibs

In fact, the entire window is a tad ... colourful

P'raps it's a traffic light warning device for diabetix?

Cakes! Don'tcha love 'em?!

Was Paris full of intellectual-types reading Dickens in English, wearing wrist braces?

Comment

What I links Iggy Pop, Charles Ives and a Number One hit from 1918?
          My travels have unearthed this, which I thought I'd share with the class. Whoever wrote it must have been in a suitably mellow mood. There's also an Iggy reference in here :

String quartets of Charles Ives
          Charles Ives wrote two large string quartets like three short parts, and five works for quartets with an additional instrument (piano or double bass). Charles Ives frequently draws his inspiration from the popular and religious music of his time. In chamber music, he also wrote four sonatas for violin as well as a trio, and several miniatures for whole of rooms.

Synopsis
          1 Quartet n° 1
          2 Quartet n° 2
          3 Other works for quartets
          4 Notes and references

Quartet n° 1
          Under titrated From the Salvation Army, he was written by Ives in 1896 whereas it was 21 years old and that it was student withYale university. It comprises four movements and its execution takes approximately 20 minutes.

Choral society (Andante idiot motor bike)
          Be a prelude to (Allegro)
          Offertory (Adagio cantabile)
          Postlude (Marziale Allegro)
          The material set of themes comes from several religious anthems of which Beulath Land and Stand up, stand up for Jesus. The initial version of its first movement was a running away that Ives included in the third movement of his fourth symphony.

Work was created in an orchestral form taking again the three sums of money movements on March 17 1943 by the orchestra of Columbia under the direction of Bernard Herrmann. The quartet was played the first time on April 24 1957 by Kohon String Four-bit byte (this last made the first recording of it in 1963), but it seems that he was played much earlier, in 1938[1]

Quartet n° 2
          It acts, this time, of a work of the maturity of the musician, with its writing polytonale. It was composed enters 1911 and 1913. It comprises 3 movements and its execution takes approximately a little less than one half an hour.

Discussion (Andante moderato - Andante idiot spirito - Adagio molto)
          Arguments (Allegro idiot spirito)
          The Cal off the Mountains (l'appel de la montagne : Adagio - Andante - Adagio)
          Ives in short the partition like a discussion animated between four men, finishing towards a rise of a mountain in order to contemplate the firmament. Several patriotic anthems are used as materials sets of themes, of which it Columbia, the Gem off the Ocean, mixed, in the second movement, with traditional European melodies (Symphony n° 6 of Tchaïkovski, ninth of Beethoven…).

Creation in was made on May 11 1946 by a whole of Juilliard School, during a concert devoted to works of Ives and who also comprised several first. The first recording in was made by Walden String Quartett in 1946[1].

Other works for quartets
          For this Ives manpower also composed one Running away in so minor, one Running away in D, and one Part in ground for quartet, one finds also an arrangement of Choral in quarter tone writing at the origin for two pianos. It also composed of works where the quartet is assisted by an additional instrument. Largo Risoluto No. 1 and Largo Risoluto No. 2 for quartet and piano, one Set off Three Shorts Parts of which the first movement Hymn is played by the quartet and a double bass, the second Scherzo for quartet alone, and the last The Innate for quartet and piano, In Re Idiot Motor bike et al. and Hallowe' in for quartet and piano.

Comment

I for Ida

1 Ida Maria Oh My God (feat. Iggy Pop)

2 Charles Ives had a cook called Ida

3 Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Those pistachio éclairs look a bit ... green, innit Calibs

In fact, the entire window is a tad ... colourful

Was Paris full of intellectual-types reading Dickens in English, wearing wrist braces?
              To be fair to JULIEN, I boosted the colour saturation of the pic which was taken on a rather low-fi mobile phone camera... But the green is very green it's true! I'm curious as to what they had injected into the éclairs - if it was that beige sort of praline cream that characterises the Paris-Brest, I wouldn't be so keen... but a nice bright white vanilla cream, or plain fresh cream:

Paris was just full of people trying to keep the continental cold out - no pseuds visible!

I was nowhere with H and I... Bring on an easy J, cloughie!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                My travels have unearthed this...
                Mellow indeed. And bizarre. Greetings rubbernecker!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I for Ida

1 Ida Maria Oh My God (feat. Iggy Pop)

2 Charles Ives had a cook called Ida

3 Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider
                  Ingenious, cloughie

However, I'm afraid that isn't the answer on my card, which is a much more mundane word than the poetry inherent in "Ida". It's not a musical word either, nor a person nor place.

Comment

It's not a musical word either, nor a person nor place.
                    Insurance?

Ives made a lot of money as joint founder of Ives & Myreck Insurance Co.
                    Iggy has made adverts for Insurance.

... err ... the well-known Song of 1918 Doing the Insurance Trot: Oi!?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

TWERPISSIMO!!!!

And I did this for "O"-Level: the first National Insurance Scheme of 1918!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        TWERPISSIMO!!!!

And I did this for "O"-Level: the first National Insurance Scheme of 1918!
                        Go to the top of the class, ferneyhoughgeliebte. Full marks. And a fascinating answer to the third part. The 1918 National Insurance Scheme had not crossed my mind, yet it fits precisely. I was thinking of Caruso's song "Over There" - top of the hit parade in October 1918 - the tune of which has been used for those "charming" Go Compare advertisements on the gogglebox.

J is all yours.

Comment

I was thinking of Caruso's song "Over There" - top of the hit parade in October 1918 - the tune of which has been used for those "charming" Go Compare advertisements on the goggle box.

Curiously enough, a song Ives detested and parodied in his own They are there - there's even a recording of Ives "singing" this very song: i'll see if I can find it on youTube.

Meanwhile, I'm off-line for a couple of hours, so if you all wish to amuse yourselves with this:

A J to connect:
                          Under Milk Wood
                          A Savage Garden
                          The Life of Mammals

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Curiously enough, a song Ives detested and parodied in his own They are there - there's even a recording of Ives "singing" this very song: i'll see if I can find it on youTube.

Meanwhile, I'm off-line for a couple of hours, so if you all wish to amuse yourselves with this:

A J to connect:
                            Under Milk Wood
                            A Savage Garden
                            The Life of Mammals
                            Daniel Jones (in three different musical guises)

Daniel Jenkyn Jones, the reasonably celebrated Welsh composer who set music to the songs in UMW;
                            Daniel Jones the famous keyboardist of the famous Australian techno-pop band Savage Garden;
                            Dan Jones, the well-known composer of TV incidental music, including the Attenborough BBC series referenced above.

I will work on a K...
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-02-12, 21:25.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                              Daniel Jones (in three different musical guises)

Daniel Jenkyn Jones, the reasonably celebrated Welsh composer who set music to the songs in UMW;
                              Daniel Jones the famous keyboardist of the famous Australian techno-pop band Savage Garden;
                              Dan Jones, the well-known composer of TV incidental music, including the Attenborough BBC series referenced above.

I will work on a K...

Comment

This K was a gardener in his native land, an indomitable pioneer in Cologne, but met a tragically watery end.

Comment

Working...
                                X