X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thanks to Vinty, I got the pun "loch ran" (for the celtic water), mercs got Angus (of whom I'd previously never) for the Bet.
    I presumed everything led to James, the principal conductor of the Hallé. But that was in the '70s, not the "late '60s", so I'm stumped at the Sheffield reference.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Welcome back, Taps

Have you had a chance to read Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich book? I got a very positive impression of her from the recent Rostropovich documentary on telly & I've been thinking about getting her book ever since. She was a witness to some extraordinary times and people
      Cheers, ams

Regrettably I have not delved even superficially into this book as yet. I received it on Tuesday, quite out of the blue. Being a shallow type, I immediately went for the photographs and have skimmed the index and its extensive list of personalia - a cast o' thousands! The book does indeed seem to have been very well received.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Well, thanks to Vinty, I got the pun "loch ran" (for the celtic water), mercs got Angus (of whom I'd previously never) for the Bet.
        I presumed everything led to James, the principal conductor of the Hallé. But that was in the '70s, not the "late '60s", so I'm stumped at the Sheffield reference.
        All correct. My memory and the dates may have misled you, but not drastically. Loughran was HO conductor from 1970 or so but before did conduct the orchestra - The Sheffield Philharmonic Concerts had the Halle as its resident orch for many years. I actually first saw JL at Sheffield conducting the Munich Phil deputising for Kempe - His Brahms 1 was a cracker! The other interesting competitor for the Halle post Barbirolli was Arvid Jansons (his son seems to have done not too badly with the baton) whom I was lucky enough to see conducting the Leningrad Phil at Sheffield.

Seems combined AA brains go there. We need a M please - toss the dice and decide whom!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Arvid Jansons (his son seems to have done not too badly with the baton) whom I was lucky enough to see conducting the Leningrad Phil at Sheffield

I was lucky enough to see that combination in Leningrad when I was there in December 1982. Unforgettable. Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony then, what were they playing when you saw them?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I was lucky enough to see that combination in Leningrad when I was there in December 1982. Unforgettable. Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony then, what were they playing when you saw them?
            Tchaik 4 - one of my favourite symphonies (as is indeed Rach 2) - a good edge of seats rapid finale.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Tchaik 4 - one of my favourite symphonies (as is indeed Rach 2) - a good edge of seats rapid finale.
              Good for you. The Rach's more up my street. I think it was Chopin's second piano concerto in the first half, but to be honest the Rachmaninov blotted everything else out.

Errrrrr.... are we waiting for an M? Knowing mercia's retiring nature, looks like it's fhg - who is online if the green light is to be believed.

Mr f?

Comment

Well, I got Loughran after a significant hint from Vinty, but I'd never heard of the Tipster.

Still, girded with a third Shredded Wheat () I'll research an M - but if anyone has a relevant puzzle going spare please feel free to step in ...

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Well, I got Loughran after a significant hint from Vinty, but I'd never heard of the Tipster.

Still, girded with a third Shredded Wheat () I'll research an M - but if anyone has a relevant puzzle going spare please feel free to step in ...
                  I have the glimmerings of an M ...

... if you can wait just a little?

Comment

... if I May?

an M...

... which was begun by Dvořák, completed by Rossini, and which with an added accent Ravel thought might produce the sound he really intended?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      I have the glimmerings of an M ...

... if you can wait just a little?
                      With pleasure!

Comment

Ravel thought might produce the sound he really intended?
                        does that mean the sound that he, Ravel, intended, or the sound he, Dvorak, intended, please ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          does that mean the sound that he, Ravel, intended, or the sound he, Dvorak, intended, please ?
                          ... the sound that Ravel really wanted.

For Dvořák, think orchestral; for Rossini, operatic; for Ravel, ideally instrumental...

Comment

... the sound that Ravel really wanted.

For Dvořák, think orchestral; for Rossini, operatic; for Ravel, ideally instrumental...
                            A most intriguing puzzle, vinblanc, which I feel should be within my capacities and at which I am chipping away....

Comment

at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious there's nothing by Dvorak that was literally completed by Rossini, because the latter predates the former

Comment

... and when I say ideally instrumental, I mean ideally

Actually that's probably not very helpful (but is pertinent). More helpful might be if I said that something that was on radio 3 today is not irrelevant....

Comment

Working...
                                X