This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Not Jumbo I'm afraid, and it is a composer you are looking for. Incidentally I am amazed Tapiola is a Syd Barrett fan!!

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Gosh, it was a long convoluted haul wasn't it?
      And I'm soooooo glad I stayed out of it, although it was fun following it from the sidelines.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Scott Joplin stamp, but national emblem? and encounter with an insect??
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Scott Joplin stamp, but national emblem? and encounter with an insect??
          Well Pianorak, dig a little deeper .........

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Well Pianorak, dig a little deeper .........
            Been going through my Joplin scores - but no mention of any insects. If it's "cryptic" - I don't do cryptic!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Been going through my Joplin scores - but no mention of any insects. If it's "cryptic" - I don't do cryptic!
              But the word "remind" does not mean "the same" does it?

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

There is "Swipesy Cakewalk" by Joplin, which suggests to me an encounter with an insect.

And yes, Anna, poor Syd is a favourite of mine. What a mind the man had! Are you a fan?

Talking of insects and Pink Floyd, there is also "Grantchester Meadows" where Roger Waters waxes nostalgic for the couontryside and nature, before being irritated by a fly and swatting it by the end of the song.

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

And "Maple Leaf" Rag - maple leaf being a Canadian emblem.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                    And "Maple Leaf" Rag - maple leaf being a Canadian emblem.
                    Indeed, Canadian Emblem and Maple Leaf Rag his most famous compositiion. The encounter with an insect is very entertaining.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The Sting!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        The Sting!
                        Indeed, it is the film The Sting, featuring The Entertainer, which brought his music back to prominence. He was buried in an unmarked paupers grave and it was only many, many, years after his death that Hamlisch's adaptation of his music resulted in many posthumous awards including a Pulitzer Prize for contribution to American Music.

Comment

• Anna

That was a good collective effort at the end! I think we now hand over the K to Pianorak as he got the name correctly although you all deserve it. (Actually, I was quite proud of my insect clue!)

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Thank you kindly, although I really don't deserve it - but you probably all deserve a bit of a rest. Give us a minute or two . . .

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              And yes, Anna, poor Syd is a favourite of mine. What a mind the man had! Are you a fan?
                              Yes Tapiola, quite fond of Syd and a big fan of Pink Floyd, although I'm afraid they don't get much of an outing these days, must rectify this at the weekend.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

K - what K connects a cathedral, nobility, a Palestinian Christian community and a composition from the late-mediaeval period?

Comment

Working...
                                X