X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    Sergei Prokofiev opus 18 - The Ugly Duckling
    was what I was thinking, possibly wrongly, in the middle of the night
    Ducks don't honk, they quack. Geese honk.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Yes indeed. "Aesthetically Challenged Farmyard Fowl" - I love that!
      Perhaps you could kindly take on the V, Anna? Mercia is apparently shell-shocked.
      (so long as the answer is not Valentine )
      Curses Flay! You have just answered my puzzle - the answer is indeed Valentine!
      I'm afraid I am going to be offline in a moment until quite late and mercia did all the work, so if he doesn't want to perhaps someone else who hasn't set one recently (Caliban possibly or ferney or Norfy as he is a duck expert?) would oblige...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        If I was being very picky I would say geese go honk not ducklings
        And the "Ugly Duckling" was a swan.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          And the "Ugly Duckling" was a swan.
          True! And swans are mute aren't they. so neither honk nor quack? Or, do they hiss?

Comment

I can proffer a 'V', if required...

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
              I can proffer a 'V', if required...
              I'm happy to give you the sign if others are!

Comment

Gosh, I've caused a farmyard kerfuffle here. In my defence, if you google "ugly" (which mercia got from the first part of the clue) & "honk" it takes you straight to the Hans Christian Andersen adaptation, and from there you could have got the Prokofiev. As clear as slurry!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

OK..
                  What 'V' links a premiere in Petrograd while World War I was still in progress, a premiere in Paris during World War II, and a composition by a Norwegian organist?

Comment

thanks for the question Flay, I didn't mean to pick it apart
                    and thanks to Norfie for offering a question

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      OK..
                      What 'V' links a premiere in Petrograd while World War I was still in progress, a premiere in Paris during World War II, and a composition by a Norwegian organist?

the Norwegian one is eluding me, unless it's their 1992 Eurovision entry, which seems unlikely

Comment

Your reference to Eurovision tells me that you have the other two - yes? The organist has collaborated with a famous Norwegian saxophonist.

Comment

Absence alert! I shall be offline from 1400 hours until approximately 1615 hours. mercia, who very possibly has the idea (or anybody else who's cracked it, of course) may wish to break cover before I temporarily disappear, but I'm equally happy to leave the question open until I return.

Comment

all I have so far is Prokofiev's Visions fugitives of 1918 (the Petrograd premiere) and Messiaen's Visions de l'amen of 1943.
                            the Norwegian still eludes me.

Comment

Norwegian composer Kvandal Visions Norwegienne anything to do with it?

Comment

Prokofiev 1918
                                Messiaen 1943:
                                The third set of visions sound as if they last for ever....

Comment

Working...
                                X