X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Ok, hopefully this is straightforward :

What L connects William B with Alice T and Maggie T ?

I'll check back in an hour
    Well I am tempted to suggest "Loop-the-loop" (William Burroughs and Margaret Thatcher) but that obviously is not right as there is no musical connection and does not take Alice into account.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Ok, hopefully this is straightforward :
      What L connects William B with Alice T and Maggie T ?
      I immediately thought the William B. was William Blake, Songs of Innocence and Experience, then I thought William Bolcom who set them to music (thinking particularly of The Lamb which then led to Leonard Slatkin. But then I floundered when it came to Maggie T (although she was more fond of quoting St. Francis or Christopher Fry) and Alice T, well the only person I could think of was Alice B. Toklas. So the answer is, I have no answer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Well I am tempted to suggest "Loop-the-loop" (William Burroughs and Margaret Thatcher) but that obviously is not right as there is no musical connection and does not take Alice into account.
        I think the William is more obvious than the one you've chosen, and certainly wasn't known for lunching in the altogether You're a bit more on target with Maggie, although there is a musical connection with all three...
        Last edited by Guest; 12-02-11, 00:11. Reason: typo

Comment

It's all beyond me at the moment.

Anna,

I am intrigued by your love of Pink Floyd. What are your favourite albums?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I immediately thought the William B. was William Blake, Songs of Innocence and Experience, then I thought William Bolcom who set them to music (thinking particularly of The Lamb which then led to Leonard Slatkin. But then I floundered when it came to Maggie T (although she was more fond of quoting St. Francis or Christopher Fry) and Alice T, well the only person I could think of was Alice B. Toklas. So the answer is, I have no answer!!
            ...and it's certainly not William Bolcom!

Comment

Anna,

Obscured by Clouds, it would seem at the moment

Comment

Comment

It's all beyond me at the moment.

Anna,

Well, it's not odd to love Pink Floyd is it? I consider it quite normal. I guess I came to them later rather than earlier. I'll have to check what I have but my all time favourite is Delicate Sound of Thunder. I have just put it on in your honour! In particular Shine on You Crazy Diamond has many memories for me. One day I'll tell you about how that brought me to classical music.

Edit: The Wish you Were Here album takes top spot. What's your favourite one Tapiola?
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-02-11, 00:34. Reason: thought of something else

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    What is it with you guys and Corrie? Shall I switch over from QI?
                    Well, all I can say is that Mrs O and I were completely bowled over by Chris Gascoyne's performance in tonight's second episode. We actually flinched on at least two occasions, even though we know perfectly well that it's not our downfall he's planning.
                    (Was tonight's QI not a repeat, in which case we would already have seen it? I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's 'Making History' and enjoying it enormously).

Comment

Well, I did turn Coronation Street on, but not knowing who anyone was and not knowing the plot it didn't have much appeal and just looked like a lot of miserable people in a pub. I used to like Stephen Fry but he is so up himself and smug these days, as if anyone is interested he's going to flounce off Twitter again. He had a v. interesting programme not long ago albout Wagner though.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        Caliban: Welcome back (did you have anything to do with Mubarak's change of heart, by any chance?) The Peter/Nick storyline is hotting up nicely.
                        Thanks but no - international régime change is happily not part of my job spec...

The omnibus will be spooled through tomorrow - let's see (judging from your most recent post) if there is as much flinching as chez OFCA...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Abraham Lincoln? Maggie Thatcher recorded Copland's 'Lincoln Portrait; William B Ogden had a row with Lincoln around 1860 on the subject of emancipation; Alice Toklas was companian to Gertrude Stein, who suggested, in her 'Autobiography of Alice B Toklas', that Lincoln may have been Jewish.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-02-11, 08:30.

Comment

Well done, Hercule and Ofca. You've pretty much managed to crack it between you. William Byrd, born in Lincoln and organist at Lincoln Cathedral. Alice Tully, American mezzo-soprano, philanthropist, patron of the Arts and a founder of the Lincoln Center in New York (as in Alice Tully Hall), and Margaret Thatcher, born in Grantham, Lincs but also recorded Copland's Lincoln Portrait. (I hoped someone would spot the possible Maggie Teyte red herring!) I think Hercule's random thoughts just got him there first, so if Ofca agrees we'll let him set M.

Comment

Excellent clue and solution, guys. I was completely stumped.

Anna,

I love the live version of 'Wish you were here' on "Delicate Sounds". My own favourite albums would be the earlier ones - "Piper at the gates of dawn" and "Meddle". I reckon rubbernecker is a fan as well.

Comment

Excellent clue and solution, guys. I was completely stumped.

Anna,

I love the live version of 'Wish you were here' on "Delicate Sounds". My own favourite albums would be the earlier ones - "Piper at the gates of dawn" and "Meddle". I reckon rubbernecker is a fan as well.
                                And BTS! Did you all see the TV programme on the making of Dark Side? All those 1/4" tape loops...amazing. "What's 1/4" tape?" asked my nephew.

Comment

Working...
                                X