This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTS,

I missed that programme but once heard a Radio 2 series about Floyd, presented by Whispering Bob, in which Dave Gilmour talked at length about said tape loops in connection with the opening of "Money", getting the ruler out, measuring, splicing... Fascinating stuff. Nephews, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
      Ofca, are you there? - I don't mind, my efforts at question-setting don't have a very good track record
      If you're sure ... I do have an 'M' ready.
      Which M's repertoire included a club in Birmingham, a payroll system and the 'Dynamo of Dixie' before he disappeared?

Comment

Miller?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          BTS,

I missed that programme but once heard a Radio 2 series about Floyd, presented by Whispering Bob, in which Dave Gilmour talked at length about said tape loops in connection with the opening of "Money", getting the ruler out, measuring, splicing... Fascinating stuff. Nephews, eh?
          I may well still have it and if so could burn it to DVD for you (purely for research purposes )

Comment

Miller?
            Please elucidate, as they say.
            I'm off to help with some fund-raising, but will check at or shortly after 12.00 noon.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
              Well, all I can say is that Mrs O and I were completely bowled over by Chris Gascoyne's performance in tonight's second episode.
              I completely agree. It was a mesmerising, subtle and totally convincing performance which had me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait for Monday!
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

My own favourite albums would be the earlier ones - "Piper at the gates of dawn" and "Meddle". I reckon rubbernecker is a fan as well.
                Certainly was, from the age of 14, perhaps less so now. I imagine there are quite a few closet Floydies frequenting these boards. And I happen to know Caliban is a big fan of 'Wish You Were Here'.

Nick Mason's book is an absolute must-read even if you are not a fan. Achingly funny.

I also quite recently enjoyed a bottle of 'Pink Floyd' Rose wine from a French vineyard which I think NM now owns.

Comment

I'm going to sort out my Pink Floyd today just to check what I have! Haven't heard of that book, will look out for it, sounds good reading. Would never have got anyone of the L puzzle, that was a good one. Going out now, I think Tapiola's cracked the M

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                    Please elucidate, as they say.
                    I'm off to help with some fund-raising, but will check at or shortly after 12.00 noon.
                    Feeling slightly fraudulent in that I cannot work out the payroll system.

Glenn Miller's repertoire included Chattanooga Choo Choo (the Dynamo of Dixie) and Moonlight Serenade (Club Moonlight in Birmingham). And Miller famously disappeared whilst airborne...

Am being forced of this computer shortly - more Floydness will doubtless follow in due course...

Comment

Kalamazoo is the payroll

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        And I happen to know Caliban is a big fan of 'Wish You Were Here'.

Nick Mason's book is an absolute must-read even if you are not a fan. Achingly funny.
                        I also love the live album Delicate Sound of Thunder, often on in the car (especially when I had an Audi RS6, the V8 plus Mr Gilmour's solos equalled licence-endangering pleasure...)

Rubbers I must get hold of the Mason book - never read it, sounds as if it might be up my street...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          I completely agree. It was a mesmerising, subtle and totally convincing performance which had me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait for Monday!
                          Am installed with a delicious succulent pink grapefruit for breakfast, about to attack the omnibus - there is usually an element of work duty to this (as Ofca and Taps are aware) but from all these reports I am quite looking forward to seeing this performance that has you all talking.

While writing: calling all Corriephiles - don't you think the new soft-focus opening sequence is really horrible? Completely inappropriate prettified visuals, out of kilter with the programme and sickly like an advert for chocolates. Dis they re-record the title music too?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Am installed with a delicious succulent pink grapefruit for breakfast, about to attack the omnibus - there is usually an element of work duty to this (as Ofca and Taps are aware) but from all these reports I am quite looking forward to seeing this performance that has you all talking.

While writing: calling all Corriephiles - don't you think the new soft-focus opening sequence is really horrible? Completely inappropriate prettified visuals, out of kilter with the programme and sickly like an advert for chocolates. Dis they re-record the title music too?
                            Agreed, Caliban.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Rubbers I must get hold of the Mason book - never read it, sounds as if it might be up my street...
                              I was going to say I'll lend you my copy, but I've remembered I've lent it to someone else... but can't remember who
                              However, I note your birthday's due on Thursday so you may actually get a new copy

Comment

I've just managed to dig out and spin a rare bootleg acquired at an Amsterdam market of Pink Floyd "Early Flights vol.3 ", including demo and unreleased versions of Arnold Layne, Jugband Blues, See Emily Play, The Scarecrow etc. It also contains (as the NME might say) 'mythical' tracks such as Vegetable Man, Bob Dylan's Blues, Two of a Kind and The Journey.

Ahh, to be living a misspent youth again...

Comment

Working...
                                X