• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    true ................ sorry
    do you have any other pet hates?
    Only kidding! Keep it coming! It's fun!

Errr.... Most of Tchaikovsky; Verdi; Donizetti, Bellini... all those Italian coves who write showpiece arias over um-chug-chug bass accompaniments
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Errr.... Most of Tchaikovsky; Verdi; Donizetti, Bellini... all those Italian coves who write showpiece arias over um-chug-chug bass accompaniments

Especially that Verdi. Awful stuff.

I do like Tchaik though.

Chillax, Caliban, and find your neutral space

Comment

Cheers, Taps

In fact that Liszt piece is one of the few of his I really like, principally because it doesn't sound like Liszt - more like Chopin... You probably gathered from other postings (if Ammy51 weren't away, he'd brand me a name dropper again ) that ironically enough I have one of the great Liszt pianists as an upstairs neighbour, Tamas Vasary. I have debated my feelings about his compatriot with Tamas on a number of occasions, and he got me once by hastening to my piano and playing precisely that piece, Consolation No 3. I remember liking it but of course my brain was also reeling from having Vasary in my front room playing my joanna!

Comment

I think Taps stands on the podium this time with mercia splashing champagne over them both. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post

Especially that Verdi. Awful stuff.

I do like Tchaik though.

Chillax, Caliban, and find your neutral space

Didn't Verdi write that plink plonk "waltz" in La Traviata - in 4/4! (I don't mean Brindisi, btw.) Then there's the Rataplan chorus!

Actually I do quite like Verdi.

Comment

Cheers, Taps

In fact that Liszt piece is one of the few of his I really like, principally because it doesn't sound like Liszt - more like Chopin... You probably gathered from other postings (if Ammy51 weren't away, he'd brand me a name dropper again ) that ironically enough I have one of the great Liszt pianists as an upstairs neighbour, Tamas Vasary. I have debated my feelings about his compatriot with Tamas on a number of occasions, and he got me once by hastening to my piano and playing precisely that piece, Consolation No 3. I remember liking it but of course my brain was also reeling from having Vasary in my front room playing my joanna!
              Caliban, I had previously come across references to your esteemed neighbour but am amazed anew! Imagine having Vasary come down for a run-through. Fabulous

And I am so relieved that the consolation is to your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Didn't Verdi write that plink plonk "waltz" in La Traviata - in 4/4! (I don't mean Brindisi, btw.) Then there's the Rataplan chorus!

Guys and gals, I am afraid I must relinquish all privileges to J, as I will shortly be offline and cannot envisage a return until some time tomorrow. Have my hands full this evening.

May I humbly transfer the baton to mercia?

Comment

I notice that the CFM magazine has some CDs featuring Tamas Vasary this month. Probably not enough to tempt me to buy it though.

Comment

I notice that the CFM magazine has some CDs featuring Tamas Vasary this month. Probably not enough to tempt me to buy it though.
                    Interesting, you mean free with the mag? Or advertised in its pages?

TV's brand of playing is a little out of fashion today, I get the feeling.... Quite soft grained and thoughtful, and a world away from what a Kissin or other firebrands would make of it.

I shall be interested to see if he features in the forthcoming Building a Library on the B minor Sonata a week tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                      May I humbly transfer the baton to mercia?
                      oh, only just logged-in and seen this
                      anyone got a J question to hand?
                      Caliban? Vinteuil? anyone?

Comment

I only do Os and Qs and have 23 of each in waiting!

Comment

oh, only just logged-in and seen this
                          Caliban? Vinteuil? anyone?
                          Just back from work, will have a think while I sort things out... Anyone else dive in if the fancy/muse takes you.

Comment

Interesting, you mean free with the mag? Or advertised in its pages?

With the mag - 2CDs. I think there's a Horenstein Mahler 1 as well as the Vasary Beethoven sonatas.

Comment

With the mag - 2CDs. I think there's a Horenstein Mahler 1 as well as the Vasary Beethoven sonatas.
                              Blimey. Might be worth breaking the habit of a lifetime, and buying it...

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                I only do Os and Qs and have 23 of each in waiting!
                                Are you being serious??

Caliban?
                                Here's a J then, four closely-related elements: a king, a queen, a prophetess and a strong man are connected by this J

Comment

Working...
                                X