This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    So did I mercia, I don't get the Cheltenham bit at all.
    I agree - There's no F in Cheltenham.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I was misreading the question and looking for birth or residency mercia.
      ah well that's our question setter being clever (& naughty)

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        our Mr Fricker directed (if that's the word) the Cheltenham Festival one (or several) year(s)
        Just thank your lucky stars that he didn't stop off in Dunfermline for haddock & chips one day!

Comment

Fricker is mentioned in Lucky Jim as representing the younger generation of composers. As Anna said, Jim prefers to go to the pub.
          Fricker wasn't born in Cheltenham, but was president of the Music & Literature Festival for (IIRC) four years. (A later holder of this post was Michael Berkeley, who - together with Humphrey Carpenter did many great things for the Festival. One of which was not employing me!)

Both Byron and Southey wrote poems called Vision of Judgement which is Fricker's largest Choral work.

A much neglected composer whose work merits reappraisal and performance, IMO.

So who's next to Go? Ammie? Anna?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Fricker is mentioned in Lucky Jim as representing the younger generation of composers. As Anna said, Jim prefers to go to the pub.
            Fricker wasn't born in Cheltenham, but was president of the Music & Literature Festival for (IIRC) four years. (A later holder of this post was Michael Berkeley, who - together with Humphrey Carpenter did many great things for the Festival. One of which was not employing me!)

Both Byron and Southey wrote poems called Vision of Judgement which is Fricker's largest Choral work.

A much neglected composer whose work merits reappraisal and performance, IMO.

So who's next to Go? Ammie? Anna?
            Oh Anna deffo

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Just thank your lucky stars that he didn't stop off in Dunfermline for haddock & chips one day!
              That was one clue I left out: I thought it would give the game away too quickly!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I liked that question (well I would wouldn't I)

Comment

Oh Anna deffo
                  Oh No, Ammy, I set one last night, you first mentioned the F-word and we haven't had one from you for ages .... Givvus a Glorious G

Comment

Okely dokely ....

What G links a national musical festival established in 1933; Holst, Britten, Elgar and RVW; and a private printing press

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                      Duruf(f)le

I could tell you about the time I had tea with M et Mme Duruflé, but that would be name-dropping...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        that would be name-dropping
                        too late, they're dropped

go on then

Comment

too late, they're dropped

go on then
                          Was patisserie involved?

Comment

Perfection, ammy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              As far as I recall, Southey and Coleridge married the Fricker sisters, as part of the Utopian - "Pantisocracy" - project (Susquehanna?) to settle in America.
                              Your knowledge of trivia is just so terribly plebeian, vindetable!!!!!!

Comment

go on then
                                I lived for a year not far from St Etienne du Mont (vinteuil will know it well too), and Mrs Duruflé had by then taken over from him as organist, her husband being confined to their flat opposite. The King's recording of his Requiem was one of my most treasured cassettes ( that dates it all - as does the fact that MD was still alive, he died only a year or so after).

I plucked up courage after a few visits and got talking to her, and ended up being invited over to meet the great old gentleman and given tea. I had equipped myself with a score of the Requiem which he autographed "en bien sympathique souvenir" to me which is one of my most treasured possessions.

Comment

Working...
                                X