X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry been AWOL are we still on B?

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
      Which small British resident beginning with 'B' inspired an American songwriting team in the year of the General Strike, a British songwriting team in the year a Labour foreign secretary resigned, and Mr R C Waldron in the year a fox was convicted of spying? The linking word occurs in all three elements, all of which are musical.
      Hello chaps and chapesses. I've had a fun packed weekend including a mega bike ride and a mega Meistersinger at Glyndebourne and am feeling refreshed energised and ready to tackle the challenges of the AA board once more

I'm thinking this might be a Blackbird, (or a 'merle noir' if we are toying with Messiaen which, knowing Ofca, is unlikely )

Bye Bye Blackbird by Ray Henderson and Mort Dixon (1926)
      Blackbird by Lennon/McCartney - although the latter wrote it (1968) I think Michael Stewart may have resigned from the Wilson Government over Biafra?
      I'm working on Waldron, but I'll stop if I'm barking up the wrong tree...

Comment

I think you are up the right tree - 3 could well be Ronnie Ronalde If I Were A Blackbird!?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          I think you are up the right tree - 3 could well be Ronnie Ronalde If I Were A Blackbird!?
          I was just about to say that! Yes, real name Ronald Charles Waldron. He also wrote In a Monastery Garden

Comment

Well done, chaps! The blackbird, a small British resident, and the subject of:
            Bye Bye Blackbird (Henderson and Dixon, 1926);
            Blackbird Singing At The Dead of Night (McCartney, but Lennon co-credited, 1968, the year George Brown resigned as Foreign Secretary); and
            If I Were A Blackbird, I'd Whistle and Sing (Ronnie Ronalde, born Ronald Charles Waldron), 1950.
            Over to old Gummihals for 'C' please!

Comment

What C connects India, mint and windmill?

Comment

For the sake of completeness in the B answer one should add that the spy convicted in 1950 was Klaus Fuchs, which is German for fox

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                  For the sake of completeness
                  ...... R C Waldron did not write In a Monastery Garden

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    ...... R C Waldron did not write In a Monastery Garden
                    Quite right, Mercia. I thought that was wrong when I said it. Ketelby wrote it, Waldron sang it.

EDIT: My dear Mercia, if you were in my somewhat embarrassing position, would you re-edit the original post, or delete it entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
                      is that what you chaps call a leading question?
                      Only if I knew the answer!

I'm not sure what 'chaps' you mean...

Comment

For the sake of completeness in the B answer one should add that the spy convicted in 1950 was Klaus Fuchs, which is German for fox
                        Sorry - I meant to make that clear!

Comment

What C connects India, mint and windmill?
                          I'm not too proud to ask (beg) for a clue

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            I'm not too proud to ask (beg) for a clue
                            Ok, maybe it's a harder question than I thought...

All elements relate to pieces of music: one popular, two classical. And there's more than one windmill...

Comment

And there's more than one windmill...
                              ah, thank you, I shall stop thinking about Don Quixote

this is probably Windmills of My Mind from The Thomas Crown Affair

Comment

Good for you mercia to ask/demand/beg for a clue. And there’s Elgar…

Comment

Working...
                                X