This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Ams, according to Amazon's page it it available via LoveFilm. Trouble is with LF you don't get what's on top of your list, but I find them very good and you can take a payment holiday at any time. Yes, I remember that final interview with Melvyn Bragg as well

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I'm lost in this, but I think Nigel Butterley is the toasty composer. Meditations of Thomas Traherne (1968).

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Not too tough (compared to some of yours! ) It's a composer, 2 tv dramas, a composer and a performer sort of turned composer. I'll be offline now until approx 11.45
        I beg to differ. Do you do cryptic crosswords by any chance?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I'm lost in this, but I think Nigel Butterley is the toasty composer. Meditations of Thomas Traherne (1968).
          Yes, Nigel Butterley (hence reference to toast upon which you spread - Utterly Butterly of course! <groan at awful pun emoticon>

So, anton originally got the name Nigel + Kennedy, Ams got the Potter reference, you've got Mr. Butterley, that just leaves the electrifying two act Opera but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Yes, Nigel Butterley (hence reference to toast upon which you spread - Utterly Butterly of course! <groan at awful pun emoticon>

So, anton originally got the name Nigel + Kennedy, Ams got the Potter reference, you've got Mr. Butterley, that just leaves the electrifying two act Opera but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)
            ... for completeness' sake - Nigel Osborne, The Electrification of the Soviet Union.

(libretto by one of my old tutors )

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... for completeness' sake - Nigel Osborne, The Electrification of the Soviet Union.

(libretto by one of my old tutors )
              Yes! And I have used that Osborne before, when I set 'Union' as the puzzle. So, how does that leave the scoring now?

Libretto my one of your old tutors? Oh, please tell all vinteuil! And, are you also a famous librettist?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

vinteuil! And, are you also a famous librettist?
                good lord no! me, I'm a retired obscure cultural bureaucrat and academic manqué, now just a gentleman of leisure...

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)
                  The weekend, by the widely accepted Lady Gould definition, has not quite started yet ......but if you can wait a while!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    good lord no! me, I'm a retired obscure cultural bureaucrat and academic manqué, now just a gentleman of leisure...
                    Non, Non, Non, mon cher vinteuil, pas manqué, c'est tout simplement que vos talents n'ont pas été reconnus!!! (Excuse my French!)

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

A bit out of practice so don't know if this is too hard or too easy

Which O hopefully connects

David Rizzio
                      The Skatalites
                      Sacred and Secular Lieder

all musical to varying degrees

Comment

• Anna

Looks good anton, Mary Queen of Scots meets Ska? I'm looking forward to the result of this Pet!

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

It was all set to test your outstanding linguistic ability Anna

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Perhaps Opie?

No, it can't be that. Not all the Opies are musical!

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Sadly not Dave - as it's late a clue - your namesake Rizzio its not him but someone who pinched his name

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                someone who pinched his name
                                sorry to butt in but I think these may be Oswalds

James Oswald, Scottish composer (1711 - 1769) seems to have published works under the name David Rizzio
                                a trumpet player with the Skatalites is/was Oswald Baba Brooks
                                and Oswald von Wolkenstein (1376 - 1445) seems to have written some Geistliche und weltliche lieder, though I can't seem to find much info. about them

will Fenwicks be benefiting from your custom today?
                                Last edited by mercia; 09-07-11, 06:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X