X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

BBC Surround sound and binaural experiments

Radio 4 currently has a play, Private Peaceful", which is available in several versions to download, including binaural and surround sound.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/20..._peaceful.html

Might be interesting to try.
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Thanks, is there any information regarding the differences between the four versions?
    Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

You'll get a different result according to the shape of head and which headphones you use, but you can listen without downloading - see RH of page here:

Brothers Tommo and Charlie's journey from a Devon childhood to the horrors of WWI.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Wonderful!

I wonder what boarders make of version 4.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Just a quick post to mention that three of yesterday's Afternoon on 3 items are available in binaural Sounds.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

A friend who participated in a BBC Prom has pointed out I might be interested to hear the binaural stream using headphones.

The page says:
            "Listen on headphones for the full spatial effect – it’s the closest aural experience to being at the Royal Albert Hall in person without actually being there."

In general, I would hope for an edited sound mix which improves on being in the hall, given that the acoustics are compromised, for most concerts (excepting the likes of Mahler 8) unless seated/situated in one of only a few parts of the hall.

However, the work in question is the "John Luther Adams's mammoth choral work "In the Name of the Earth"" so this format might be more worthwhile than standard Proms symphonic / concerto fare.

Comment

Working...
            X