• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... does Alpie refuse to listen to Choral Evensong from St Albans?...
    The answer is not as uncontroversial as might be supposed.

The matter was discussed here:

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Well Waterstone's made quite a profit from my many purchases, but Waterstones get very little of my custom.
      ... is this again a regional thing? Mme v and I were wandering about London this morning - and we noticed that the Waterstone's in the King's Road [London SW3] and in Kensington High Street [W8] had both retained their apostrophes on their street fascias. The King's Road one looked not very new, but the High Street Ken one was clearly recent...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

... is this again a regional thing? Mme v and I were wandering about London this morning - and we noticed that the Waterstone's in the King's Road [London SW3] and in Kensington High Street [W8] had both retained their apostrophes on their street fascias. The King's Road one looked not very new, but the High Street Ken one was clearly recent...
        Having now checked a map, I have to admit that your message was the first time I've noted that King's Road has an apostrophe, vints. And I was literally raised within 200 metres of it!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

It was apparently dropped in 2012.

Waterstones, the bookshop, has dropped the apostrophe in its trading name and logo, sparking outrage among some of its customers.

What slightly - well, thoroughly - baffles me is that this is considered to be a matter of grammar/punctuation: as if the final 's' MUST be a possessive 's' and CANNOT be simply a plural 's'. We seem to be in the realm of vegetable's here where we must add apostrophes wherever we can.

A single corner shop might register proprietorship by proclaiming itself Alf's Mini Market or Alf's. But once it gets taken over by a larger commercial concern and is no longer under the ownership of Alf, nor of any individual(s), that association with 'possession' is history.

In other words, to insist on the apostrophe is to insist on tradition. That's fine. It's permissible to be a traditionalist. But it's not about grammar, correct or incorrect. In my view.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            It was apparently dropped in 2012.

Waterstones, the bookshop, has dropped the apostrophe in its trading name and logo, sparking outrage among some of its customers.

What slightly - well, thoroughly - baffles me is that this is considered to be a matter of grammar/punctuation: as if the final 's' MUST be a possessive 's' and CANNOT be simply a plural 's'. We seem to be in the realm of vegetable's here where we must add apostrophes wherever we can. . .
            On the contrary, we are in the realms of taking away apostrophes where they should be. Waterstone's was a company started by Tim Waterstone, not Topsy and Tim Waterstone. Morrison(')s was started by Ken Morrison, not Ken and Lynne (though I wouldn't want to shop there even with an apostrophe).

In other words, to insist on the apostrophe is to insist on tradition. That's fine. It's permissible to be a traditionalist. But it's not about grammar, correct or incorrect. In my view.
            We apostrophe nerds do not insist on tradition, because sometimes tradition gets it wrong. Calling a film "Two Weeks Notice" is the beginning of a tradition, but it's wrong.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

On the contrary, we are in the realms of taking away apostrophes where they should be. Waterstone's was a company started by Tim Warterstone
              Wot? Warts an' all?

not Topsy and Tim Waterstone
              But it grew like Topsy, though, didn't it?
              Last edited by ahinton; 02-04-16, 22:58.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Who's Tospy?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

I'm not up on these things, but it strikes me that "two weeks notice" makes more sense than "two weeks' notice", if we are talking about the concept of possession. The weeks, whatever the number of them, can't possess the notice. At a stretch, the notice could arguably possess two weeks. Surely the 'weeks' bit is purely plural.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

It's a period of notice of two weeks

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      It's a period of notice of two weeks
                      I still don't understand why there should be a possessive apostrophe

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Possession is only one of the functions of the genitive case.

Here is an explanation:

Grammar Girl provides short, friendly tips to improve your writing and feed your love of the English language.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Who's Tospy?
                          Someone who, like me, is preternaturally typographically challenged, I submit...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            Possession is only one of the functions of the genitive case.

Here is an explanation:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...ar/possessives
                            Thanks. It would seem that in English the genitive case is pretty much limited to possession. That's maybe why I don't see much of a rationale for expressing any genitive with an apostrophe (as opposed to using 'of'), other than a proper possessive.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Having now checked a map, I have to admit that your message was the first time I've noted that King's Road has an apostrophe, vints. And I was literally raised within 200 metres of it!
                              ... and snap! Before we moved back to Wiltshire in my early childhood we were in Paultons Square, off the King's Road. There is no apostrophe in Paultons Square...

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

'Afghanistan has changed beyond recognition, and that should be recognised.' - top NATO General in Afghanistan on R4 Today this morning. Yes it makes sense, but is inelegant.

Comment

Working...
                                X