focussed

... your preferred spelling, o Caliban?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      I was just editing it, I was just editing it!!!!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Eggs queues me, either a single or wubble 's' can be used. I had a physics teacher who was very particular about that

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Eggs queues me, either a single or wubble 's' can be used. I had a physics teacher who was very particular about that
          o mein Amateur! - I am well aware that both spellings are to be found. I noted this very morning in my idle elevenses reading that the great WS Lewis in his monumental 48 vol edition of the Correspondence of Horace Walpole uses the focussed spelling. But then he was at Yale...

I was just a leetle surprised that our Calibmensch shd have gone down that path

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Both "focused" and "focussed" look odd to me (I dare say the feeling's mutual): I usually chose the latter - but I really don't like it!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

"Focussed" is used less often than "focused", though the former fits better into the general pattern of English spelling, as opposed to the American, where double letters are avoided ("traveler", "marvelous", etc).
              Either version appears to be acceptable in the OED.

Comment

• amateur51

o mein Amateur! - I am well aware that both spellings are to be found. I noted this very morning in my idle elevenses reading that the great WS Lewis in his monumental 48 vol edition of the Correspondence of Horace Walpole uses the focussed spelling. But then he was at Yale...

The grave of Elihu Yale is to be found in the parish church of my home town. Said parish church is also one of the seven wonders of Wales

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  The grave of Elihu Yale is to be found in the parish church of my home town. Said parish church is also one of the seven wonders of Wales
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elihu_Yale
                  What would the US education system be without the Welsh?

... and, of course, Hafod University.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I incline phonetically to the double 's' (seems to me to be much more sensible) but I know the single 's' is more... British. I had noticed it and actually thought vinmousseux would spring on it...

Vinchaud, you do remind me of Mr Mousebender in the Python 'cheese shop' sketch! I know it's a different Walpole but you put me in mind of this exchange: Mr Mousebender is John Cleese, the cheese shop proprietor Mr Wensleydale is Michael Palin:

W: What can I do for you, Sir?

M: Well, I was sitting in the public library on Thurmond Street just
                    now, skimming through 'Rogue Herries' by Hugh Walpole, and I
                    suddenly came over all peckish.

W: Peckish, sir?

M: Esurient.

W: Eh?

M: 'Eeeee.... I wor 'ungry-like!

W: Ah, hungry!

M: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do
                    the trick", so, I curtailed my Walpoling activities, sallied forth, and
                    infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some
                    cheesy comestibles!

W: Come again?

M: I want to buy some cheese.

W: Oh, I thought you were complaining about the bazouki player!

M: Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the
                    Terpsichorean muse!

W: Sorry?

M: 'Oooooo, I lahk a nice tuune, 'yer forced to!

So, vindebordeaux: Walpoling or Walpolling?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

The basic rule in English is usually -

words of one syllable, ending with one consonant preceded by one vowel, double that consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

beg begged begging
                      clap clapped

and words of more than one syllable, ending with one consonant preceded by one vowel, and accented on the last syllable, double that consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

allot allotted allotting
                      commit committed committing

BUT words of this class, not accented on the last syllable, do not double the last consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

balloted bayoneted benefited blanketed bracketed budgeted buffeted carpeted combated discomfited faceted filleted focused galloped jacketed junketed lettered marketed offered paralleled picketed pivoted proffered profited riveted trousered trumpeted visited wainscoted

[ words ending in -l the final consonant is generally doubled, whether accented on the last syllable or not - appalled bevelled channelled dishevelled enrolled grovelled labelled rivalled travelled ]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

words of one syllable, ending with one consonant preceded by one vowel, double that consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

beg begged begging
                        clap clapped

and words of more than one syllable, ending with one consonant preceded by one vowel, and accented on the last syllable, double that consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

allot allotted allotting

BUT words of this class, not accented on the last syllable, do not double the last consonant on adding -ed or -ing :

balloted bayoneted benefited blanketed bracketed budgeted buffeted carpeted combated discomfited faceted filleted focused galloped jacketed junketed lettered marketed offered paralleled picketed pivoted proffered profited riveted trousered trumpeted visited wainscoted

[ words ending in -l the final consonant is generally doubled, whether accented on the last syllable or not - appalled bevelled channelled dishevelled enrolled grovelled labelled rivalled travelled ]
                        I repeat my question in #414 above: Walpoling or Walpolling??? The latter, I take it?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          I repeat my question in #414 above: Walpoling or Walpolling??? The latter, I take it?
                          ... I wd tend to Walpoling. The -l rule has various exceptions - appealed, appealing; travailed, travailing.

So far in our litrachur I think the word "Walpoling" is hapax legomenon, no?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

hapax legomenon
                            Bless you!

(PS: I suspect so)

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

... and then again, if you wish, cf -

Named for the infamous Canadian, N. Walpole, walpoling is the conscious decision to irk the living crap our of everyone around you by constantly pointing out the one thing that separates you from them, to point out that in one tiny area you are a have, rather than a have not. The true joy comes from knowing that soon, the walpoler will soon be just like everyone else.

Comment

• amateur51

beg begged begging
                                clap clapped

allot allotted allotting

As soon as I see an Englishman writing 'generally' I know there is no rule as such and you can make it up as you go along

Mind you, you'll pay for it later, they'll never give you a job.

But that's off-topic

It's not pedantry; it's snobbery

Or should that be 'snobery'

Comment

Working...
                                X