This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    'Beyond' as an intensive ('very', 'extremely') suddenly appeared in this country - what? about five years ago? The concept of extreme excitement as being 'beyond' excitement seems rather odd. I wonder how the meaning originated.
    My Merriam-Webster seems quite happy with it.
    Examples of prepositional use of beyond it gives are:
    1: beyond the horizon
    2a: a task beyond his strength
    2b: beautiful beyond measure
    2c: his reasoning is beyond me
    3: doing work beyond his regular duties

I think that 'beyond excitement' is certainly better than 'beyond excited', but otherwise I have no problem with this expression. It's an alternative form of type 2b surely: excited beyond measure.
    Mind you, maybe I encountered it when I was living in Canada, so became attuned to it there?
    2b or not 2b, now there's the question!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      My Merriam-Webster seems quite happy with it.
      Examples of prepositional use of beyond it gives are:
      1: beyond the horizon
      2a: a task beyond his strength
      2b: beautiful beyond measure
      2c: his reasoning is beyond me
      3: doing work beyond his regular duties

I think that 'beyond excitement' is certainly better than 'beyond excited', but otherwise I have no problem with this expression. It's an alternative form of type 2b surely: excited beyond measure.
      Mind you, maybe I encountered it when I was living in Canada, so became attuned to it there?
      2b or not 2b, now there's the question!
      Yes, I think you have become accustomed to the transatlantic usage, Merriam-Webster being an American dictionary. None of those uses is very similar. The examples you give all have the same construction, A is beyond B (implied in 1: something is beyond the horizon, in 2b it's so's/sthg's beauty that is beyond measure). But "I'm beyond excited"? what does that make me -bored? afraid? Or what lies "beyond excitement"? Worldweariness? Routine?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

But "I'm beyond excited"? what does that make me?
        It must mean 'very very' in some way - and so does not make sense: surely you can only be excited - or something else (sad, angry etc).

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          It must mean 'very very' in some way - and so does not make sense: surely you can only be excited - or something else (sad, angry etc).
          If I was beyond excited, say as a young child about to go to Disney world for the first time, I'd be borderline hysterical, I think.
          Believe me: one of my godchildren was.

So yes, my transatlantic residency must have made me think of this as a completely acceptable and understandable expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            my transatlantic residency must have made me think of this as a completely acceptable and understandable expression.
            Yes, I agree that that is the case now. But I would suggest it was a fairly recent import. I put it at five years ago, give or take.

I've also noticed this year the Indy and the Guardian often use the neighbor, favor form in the online edition. It's inevitable, I think, that as American English and British English are coalescing, it's the American form that prevails.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

“I really cannot believe I’m going to be calling Radio 2 my new home,” [Scott] Mills said. “I’m beyond excited to be joining the team.”- The Guardian.

I'm genuinely curious to know what this means.
              It’s on a par with one of the expressions which has become fashionably overused and I really dislike ‘I had the best time’. Is that ever? or best being better than what?

Comment

Yes, I agree that that is the case now. But I would suggest it was a fairly recent import. I put it at five years ago, give or take.

I've also noticed this year the Indy and the Guardian often use the neighbor, favor form in the online edition. It's inevitable, I think, that as American English and British English are coalescing, it's the American form that prevails.
                Is that deliberate choice or the result of not correcting predictive text or opting for UK English spelling?

Comment

Composers for some time have extended dynamic markings that essentially mean 'very very' and indeed beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Composers for some time have extended dynamic markings that essentially mean 'very very' and indeed beyond.
                    Like full frottle!

Comment

may/might

I internally sigh when I read a sentence like this:

Tory MEP Dan Hannan mused recently that retaining membership of the single market may have been a better option.

I would write 'might have been a better option', since it refers to a past alternative that was not chosen. [Apologies if the substance in the example distracts - my point is linguistic.]

It seems that this finessed use of (what I take to be) the subjunctve voice is disappearing, at least in journalism.

Comment

Is it a subjunctive or just a conditional? If it had been the difference between choosing 'can' or 'could', it would surely have been used correctly? Second thoughts - not parallels. 'May' is probably a subjunctive.

may/might

I internally sigh when I read a sentence like this:

Tory MEP Dan Hannan mused recently that retaining membership of the single market may have been a better option.

I would write 'might have been a better option', since it refers to a past alternative that was not chosen. [Apologies if the substance in the example distracts - my point is linguistic.]

It seems that this finessed use of (what I take to be) the subjunctve voice is disappearing, at least in journalism.

Comment

Is it a subjunctive or just a conditional? If it had been the difference between choosing 'can' or 'could', it would surely have been used correctly? Second thoughts - not parallels. 'May' is probably a subjunctive.
                          I'm much less sure of the fine grammatical point than of the feeling that, as written, this is wrong.

However, there is the argument that, as written, it could mean that it remains (today) that it was the better option.

Comment

However, there is the argument that, as written, it could mean that it remains (today) that it was the better option.
                            Wouldn't that also be possible (purely grammatically) if 'might' had been used ('and it still may be')? Though given that the option is no longer available anyway, I don't know. I think your instinct is correct.

'It could have been the better option' v 'It can have been'?

Comment

(purely grammatically)

Comment

Might is right!

Comment

Working...
                                X