No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah, but then we wd have to pronounce "victuals" as "victuals" rather than "vittles"...

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
      the ugly use of the word "like" - FF

The Headmaster of my children's school imposes a fine of 50p on any pupil thoughtless enough to utter a redundant "like" in any of his lessons.
      That's possibly the most ingenious solution yet for making up for cuts in education funding. However, I wonder if the Head has thought through the implications of this policy on those pupils from more deprived backgrounds?

Comment

Mysticism: usually misty, and generally schism [so you have to say it right, or there isn't a joke - but schismatics have a hard c as well as a hard time.]

Comment

Q Who led the pedant's revolt?

A Which Tyler.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Q Who led the pedant's revolt?

A Which Tyler.
            Never heard it before! Love it!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Never heard it before! Love it!
              I thank you.

Comment

It's been a while since we had an entry on this thread. This week's "Total Immersion" seems as good a place as any to pick up where we left off.

Tom Service describing Brian Newbould as the "Schubert Completist".

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  It's been a while since we had an entry on this thread. This week's "Total Immersion" seems as good a place as any to pick up where we left off.

Tom Service describing Brian Newbould as the "Schubert Completist".
                  I understand "completist" to refer to the kind of person who wishes to have everything complete, rather than the person doing the completion.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I understand "completist" to refer to the kind of person who wishes to have everything complete, rather than the person doing the completion.
                    I'd forgotten how much I love this thread!!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I'd forgotten how much I love this thread!!

Blue cloudless skies, visibility today over London clear as a bell. That's completion!

Comment

Our national anthem is normally incorrectly punctuated:-

God save our gracious queen.

The word "God", being in the vocative case, should have a comma after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Our national anthem is normally incorrectly punctuated:-

God save our gracious queen.

The word "God", being in the vocative case, should have a comma after it.
                          Not sure about that. The mood is surely subjunctive, not imperative.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                              Very good (though it clearly isn't a subjunctively constructed sentence). However, the case is still vocative.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Very good (though it clearly isn't a subjunctively constructed sentence). However, the case is still vocative.
                                It's a very moot point. I would have thought it's subjunctive, with "let" or "may" understood, in which case "God" would be nominative, not vocative.

Comment

Working...
                                X