No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still puzzling over what American acquaintances of mine mean when they say that they "will be back momentarily (sic)".

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      I'm still puzzling over what American acquaintances of mine mean when they say that they "will be back momentarily (sic)".
      It's worse when the pilot or air steward announces that the plane will be taking off momentarily!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

It's worse when the pilot or air steward announces that the plane will be taking off momentarily!

Doubtless a successful take off is something to be "prideful" about!

Comment

Especially if you're not in a jump jet...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Especially if you're not in a jump jet...
            A jump suit might suit.

Comment

I've received a letter from my MP, inviting me to complete a questionnaire. It begins: 'I am writing to you as a pensioner living in Suffolk Coastal ....' It's good to know that she lives in the constituency she represents,, but I didn't realize that she was that old!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                I've received a letter from my MP, inviting me to complete a questionnaire. It begins: 'I am writing to you as a pensioner living in Suffolk Coastal ....' It's good to know that she lives in the constituency she represents,, but I didn't realize that she was that old!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The changes to the self-assessment, VAT and PAYE helplines announced by HMRC will now all be halted while it “engages with stakeholders”. This means the phone lines will remain open between April and September.

Would the stakeholders happen to be us lowly taxpayers by any chance?
                  Or HMG, which rakes the money in?
                  What a crazy plan in the first place!

Comment

The changes to the self-assessment, VAT and PAYE helplines announced by HMRC will now all be halted while it “engages with stakeholders”. This means the phone lines will remain open between April and September.

I would associate the notion of "stakeholders" with privatisation in the 1980s, and its clever promotion by the Thatcher/Major government as a step up from nationalisation in terms of personal choice and control over our collective fate!

Comment

Who is this Miss Cheevus that regularly appears?

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        Who is this Miss Cheevus that regularly appears?
                        I think she's Miss Noma's cousin and Miss Hap's auntie.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I would associate the notion of "stakeholders" with privatisation ...
                          l would associate the notion of"stakeholders" with well pissed men setting fire to nice food on a BBQ ...

Comment

Yes - but that's not who they'll be engaging with I suspect - or not in ways that are beneficial. Simply shutting down a service that is causing HMRC problemsis a solution from its point of view, and let's face it if the views of the financial professionals who need to, but cannot, access HMRC on behalf of their clients are ignored then we stand no chance. As has been pointed out it is poor timing as so many more people are now being drawn into needing to engage with HMRC - static personal allowances catching up with pensioners not previously required to pay tax, and self-assessment for instance.

I have renewed my stakeholder status today, with the purchase of some heavy duty steel poles for the garden...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Yes - but that's not who they'll be engaging with I suspect - or not in ways that are beneficial. Simply shutting down a service that is causing HMRC problemsis a solution from its point of view, and let's face it if the views of the financial professionals who need to, but cannot, access HMRC on behalf of their clients are ignored then we stand no chance. As has been pointed out it is poor timing as so many more people are now being drawn into needing to engage with HMRC - static personal allowances catching up with pensioners not previously required to pay tax, and self-assessment for instance.

I have renewed my stakeholder status today, with the purchase of some heavy duty steel poles for the garden...

There has been a U-turn, I understand!
                              It will still be just as difficult to get through, though, I imagine.

Comment

There has been a U-turn, I understand!
                                It will still be just as difficult to get through, though, I imagine.
                                Indeed - unless you are eligible to use the PD1 helpline... Mind you I would have thought most of those wouldn't be handling their tax affairs personally anyway?
                                Call-waiting times to ‘Public Department 1’ are 12 times faster while public must wait 22 minutes to speak to an adviser, report finds

Comment

Working...
                                X