This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    - rather as, even today, certain imperial measures still have a peceived currency today in UK - "miles per gallon", 2.24l plastic bottles of milk being sold as 4-pint bottles and the rest and, despite metric measure having first formally been discussed in Parliament almost two centuries ago and its use now the law, some Brits still seem to love to complicate matters by "converting"...
    Or you could say this is keeping it simple by not converting ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Nor I, and even it it did fit the category intended, the accepted term is "greengrocer's apostrophe"
      That's true, but having already corrected ah in two matters, I didn't like to add a third.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        No, I'd not forgotten that; nor have I forgotten that it took a further 13 years for its death knell to be sounded; in fact, I did wonder at the time whether it was introduced along with the rest of decimal currency solely s a sop to satisfy the bizarre attachments that some people still retained for imperial measures various - rather as, even today, certain imperial measures still have a pereived currency today in UK - "miles per gallon", 2.24l plastic bottles of milk being sold as 4-pint bottles and the rest and, despite metric measure having first formally been discussed in Parliament almost two centuries ago and its use now the law, some Brits still seem to love to complicate matters by "converting"...

Never mind "miles per gallon", what about "miles per hour". I wonder how many more road deaths and serious injuries would result if we changed to kilometres per hour and thus upped the standard urban speed limit to European mainland 50kph from the current UK 30mph?

Comment

Let's hope we can make some progress towards a standard urban speed limit of 20mph before that happens.

Comment

Never mind "miles per gallon", what about "miles per hour". I wonder how many more road deaths and serious injuries would result if we changed to kilometres per hour and thus upped the standard urban speed limit to European mainland 50kph from the current UK 30mph?
            As they did in Ireland a few years ago. I wonder if there are any statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              How much is a gobstopper nowadays?
              don't know, but the tuck shop is on the way out

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                Let's hope we can make some progress towards a standard urban speed limit of 20mph before that happens.
                Banning all vehicles from parking on the pavement would be another priority. There is no clear law about this, except in London.

Pavement parking began to be an issue immidiately after decimalisation. I don't suppose there's any connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Banning all vehicles from parking on the pavement would be another priority. There is no clear law about this, except in London.
                  Is that correct?

"Parking on the pavement is illegal." BCC website

("Enforcement of parking restrictions and bus lanes in Bristol is carried out under Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the Section 144 of the Transport Act 2000")
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Pavement parking began to be an issue immidiately after decimalisation. I don't suppose there's any connection.
                    It's a an even bigger issue in Germany where outrageous pavement parking takes place. Below, one of many photos quickly found via Google Images:

Mercedes - no comment.

Comment

Many councils, including some within the old GLC boundaries, now actively encourage part pavement parking, with designated parking bays shared between road and pavement (two wheels on the road, and the other two on the pavement). Several such have been introduced along Green Lane, Hounslow in the past year, for instance.

Comment

Many councils, including some within the old GLC boundaries, now actively encourage part pavement parking, with designated parking bays shared between road and pavement (two wheels on the road, and the other two on the pavement). Several such have been introduced along Green Lane, Hounslow in the past year, for instance.

Good old British compromise?

Comment

Even when they don't explicitly sanction pavement parking, councils somethimes allow for it - here, when people began to complain that the flagstone pavements in residential streets were being replaced with asphalt, the council replied that asphalt wasn't so easily damaged by having cars parked on it.

Comment

... a pedant writes : From about #1234 above there has been nothing appropriately pedantic. Can we please return to Oxford commas and, ceteris paribus, things higher than a greengrocer's apostrophe? (Tho' I did enjoy on a walk down the Uxbridge Road this morning an advertisement for - a Picture Framers's... )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... a pedant writes : From about #1234 above there has been nothing appropriately pedantic. Can we please return to Oxford commas and, ceteris paribus, things higher than a greengrocer's apostrophe? (Tho' I did enjoy on a walk down the Uxbridge Road this morning an advertisement for - a Picture Framers's... )
                              That comment is a rather pedantic.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Here's a paribus (suit enthusiast ...):

B27. An old Paris bus, seen parked by the roadside somewhere in France, but I really can’t remember where. However, I think that it may have been somewhere in Brittany. It appears to have found a new lease of life being used as a mobile shop. C.1964. Copyright © Ron Fisher.

Comment

Working...
                                X