No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optics? Ain't they the spirit bottles hanging upside down in pubs?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      That's what I call a measured response.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        That's my thought.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

That's what I call a measured response.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I've noticed 'optically' emerging as a fashion-word. 'How's that going to look optically?' asks a presenter commenting on a government proposal.
            As opposed to, for instance, economically?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              From the Guardian (no surprise there!).
              Presumably they aren't stationary/stationery either.

A food company has won a sweet-tasting victory against the UK tax authorities after a court decided that it did not have to pay VAT on its marshmallows because they were not confectionary.
              They are culinary.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

They are culinary.
                And that is not English for backside!

Comment

TV advert recently heard: "We exchange currency ten times cheaper than other high street banks"...

...should this not read "more cheaply than"?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    TV advert recently heard: "We exchange currency ten times cheaper than other high street banks"...

...should this not read "more cheaply than"?
                    Yep. That changes the meaning entirely.

Comment

The political editor of our local rag informs us that Dan Poulter's resignation takes us into unchartered waters - no maps, ships lying idle ...
                      Last edited by LMcD; 02-05-24, 08:08.

Comment

The political editor of our local rag informs us that Dan Poulter's resignation takes us into unchartered waters, which is an even more frightening prospect if, as he seems to suggest, we have no maps.
                        A common mistake, but to be fair it's all up s*** creek without a paddle isn't it?

Comment

The political editor of our local rag informs us that Dan Poulter's resignation takes us into unchartered waters - no maps, ships lying idle ...
                          Surely, it doesn't mean 'no maps, ships lying idle'. It doesn't mean anything. You can't charter waters.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It doesn't mean anything.
                            Wordsworth - "untrodden ways" . They wouldn't have been ways had they not been trodden...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Wordsworth - "untrodden ways" . They wouldn't have been ways had they not been trodden...
                              True. You can tread ways: "Tread vb To step or walk upon or along; to follow, pursue (a path, track, or road)." So a way can be trodden. I suppose a particular way, or ways, can be untrodden by me. Or untrodden for many years. Or untrodden since the council installed benches and litter bins. Or ...
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A lovely reawakened metaphor the other day: “Aquatics GB believes that every athlete is entitled to compete on a level playing field”.

I think you have physics very much on your side there.

Comment

Working...
                                X