• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    How many of you were queuing outside your newsagent in the early hours for today's Beano with Ennis the Menace?
    Actually, it was out yesterday, and ... ... I bought it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Surprisingly, with our ongoing discussion of comics, no-one has mentioned The Sun.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Surprisingly, with our ongoing discussion of comics, no-one has mentioned The Sun.
        When someone mentions Viz, that will be the moment.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

I had the Beano and Dandy weekly until sometime in the early 1960s when Look and Learn came out. Then I was truly hooked.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            I had the Beano and Dandy weekly until sometime in the early 1960s when Look and Learn came out. Then I was truly hooked.
            I stopped taking Swift when the storylines became too violent, and took Arthur Mee's Children's Newspaper for a while. Then Knowledge began to be puplished in 192 weekly parts, and I too was hooked.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I stopped taking Swift when the storylines became too violent....

The mind boggles!! I took Swift, and I don't remember that. Latterly, I got Understanding Science - like L & L, but obviously with a scientific emphasis.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                .... variation on a theme ....

We took the Beano until sometime in the early 1960s. My parents then fell on hard times, and the subscription stopped. But my pa had picked up cheap a complete Encyclopædia Britannica, ninth edition plus new vols (ie the 1875 edn, with 1910 supplements). On which I became truly hooked, and it was a happy replacement - if also radically distorting my world view - seeing everything through the eyes of nineteenth century confident supremacy....

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

We took the Beano until sometime in the early 1960s. My parents then fell on hard times, and the subscription stopped. But my pa had picked up cheap a complete Encyclopædia Britannica, ninth edition plus new vols (ie the 1875 edn, with 1910 supplements). On which I became truly hooked, and it was a happy replacement - if also radically distorting my world view - seeing everything through the eyes of nineteenth century confident supremacy....
                  What a great post!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

vinteuil

You were in good company, in TH White's The Sword in the Stone, Merlin had the Britannica in his study, the 14th Edition " Marred as it was by the inclusion of the popular plates "
                      We all got a bit pious for a while at school when The Eagle appeared, but most of us went back to the Beano, Dandy, Rover and Hotspur.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        The mind boggles!! I took Swift, and I don't remember that. Latterly, I got Understanding Science - like L & L, but obviously with a scientific emphasis.
                        I remember it well. I was 9 or 10 years old and the editor, John Chancellor, had resigned and was replaced by Arthur Morton, who wanted to make Swift grittier. Wyatt Earp was replaced by Wells Fargo, and in the storyline one of the cowboys was captured by "Indians". The latter became angry and told the cowboy he was to die slowly... This was followed by the words "More next week".
                        I started having bad dreams, but my mother picked up on this and asked whether I was worried about Swift. I told her I was, and she suggested I changed to another publication. The rest is history.

This is becoming a bit like therapy.

Comment

Working...
                        X