X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Given the very easy ride that young Jackson was given on Feedback, I'm surprised that the episode in question hasn't been back-trailed on Radio 3.
    Well that Saturday morning may not have been 'typical', and Jacko did say in a typical hour. I'm not the one to judge any of the other hours, typical or not, as I no longer listen for extended periods....unless it is the evening concert - switching on at 19.31, of course, to avoid the inevitable advert inserted betwixt 'Mixtape' and Concert, then you're fairly safe for a couple of hours!.....so far no ads in the interval - memories of Pearl and Dean with the choc-ices and Kia-ora.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Well that Saturday morning may not have been 'typical', and Jacko did say in a typical hour. I'm not the one to judge any of the other hours, typical or not, as I no longer listen for extended periods....unless it is the evening concert - switching on at 19.31, of course, to avoid the inevitable advert inserted betwixt 'Mixtape' and Concert, then you're fairly safe for a couple of hours!.....so far no ads in the interval - memories of Pearl and Dean with the choc-ices and Kia-ora.
      I had to wait 47 minutes for today's first trailer on 'Breakfast'. Honestly .....

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

I had to wait 47 minutes for today's first trailer on 'Breakfast'. Honestly .....
        How did they fill the yawning* gap? Bit of music? Bit of chat?

*I call this the 'yawning hour'...before my first hit of espresso 😩

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

How did they fill the yawning* gap? Bit of music? Bit of chat?

*I call this the 'yawning hour'...before my first hit of espresso 😩
          Very little extraneous chat. 85 minutes in, and still only 1 trailer, I think.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Very little extraneous chat. 85 minutes in, and still only 1 trailer, I think.
            But how are we supposed to know Radio 3 is '......the home of classical music'?

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

But how are we supposed to know Radio 3 is '......the home of classical music'?
              I think most of us will manage somehow.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

................and it's a self-promoting lie

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I'm really enjoying the new In Tune trailer, for the moment at the end where Sean says 'In Tune, with me, Sean Rafferty', and KD comes in with 'AND ME, Katie Derham'. The way she says those two words is... to die for!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Isn't that typical. Just as they rethink the invasion of the ads I have given up on most R3 listening due to the "refresh"!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

At about 0650 today, Tom M followed his back-announcement of the last music with an extended 'talk-up' of next Sunday's Nightingalefest, celebrating (?) that recording of cello+said bird, possibly in Berkeley Square. (And didn't this turn out to be some kind of fraud?). This then was followed immediately by the slightly weird trailer for Night Tracks, with Hannah P doing the main announcement in their pillow-talk voice.
                      I listened to the News, then switched off the radio.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        (And didn't this turn out to be some kind of fraud?).
                        Apparently not.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          At about 0650 today, Tom M followed his back-announcement of the last music with an extended 'talk-up' of next Sunday's Nightingalefest, celebrating (?) that recording of cello+said bird, possibly in Berkeley Square. (And didn't this turn out to be some kind of fraud?). This then was followed immediately by the slightly weird trailer for Night Tracks, with Hannah P doing the main announcement in their pillow-talk voice.
                          I listened to the News, then switched off the radio.
                          Not sure if it was a fraud, but the BBC Archives recording was apparently mislabelled...
                          They added a correction to a 2022 Private Passions with Tim Birkhead.

A correction: Since we broadcast this programme, new evidence has been brought to light. We’ve now learned that the recording initially believed to be the original 1924 broadcast of Beatrice Harrison and the nightingale, as labelled by the BBC Archives and the National Sound Archive, is instead likely to be a commercial recording released in 1927 by HMV. The labelling has now been corrected to ensure this mix up won’t happen again. Suggestions that the song of the nightingale in 1924 may have been sung by a siffleur are not new but probably impossible to verify since it seems likely that the original 1924 broadcast was never recorded, as the recording technology did not exist at the time. Claims about the real bird being replaced in 1924 by a professional bird imitator, Madame Saberon, are based on written testimony to the BBC from relatives of Madame Saberon, as well as accounts from Madame Saberon herself. There continues to be competing accounts of this extraordinary musical event as well as huge public interest; this demonstrates just how important the story of Beatrice and the nightingale is in the history of broadcasting.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

This celebrated event has been misrepresented more than once, and is an interesting example of the way people's memories work . I've heard references to 'that recording of Beatrice Harrison playing her cello while the bombs were falling'. This is a confusion with another famous recording of nightingales in, I think, 1944, with, not bombs dropping, but RAF bombers overhead on their way out.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                              Not sure if it was a fraud, but the BBC Archives recording was apparently mislabelled...
                              Look out for an upcoming Sunday evening feature 'The Great Nightingale Scandal' starring controversial musicological detective Ludwig van Cluedoh, who will, I understand, be played by Tom Service. After hearing all the evidence, listeners will be invited to text /call /email to tell us whether or not (and why) they agree with his conclusions.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                I don’t think the birdsong is fake . It has too many of the “plosive “ sounds that nightingales make - that must be almost impossible to initiate . Equally it doesn’t sound awfully like the nightingales I’ve ever heard but then I guess their songs vary a lot . One thing that’s always struck me is how poor the cello playing sounds given that she was a leading professional. Often wondered whether that’s thanks to the rudimentary recording. On a general point I don’t think mixing birdsong and classical music works - they don’t fit musically or in terms of tuning and they just get in the way of each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X